Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Thorrak,
I think I may have found the source of my problem, but not sure on how to fix. I ran the debug tool on the online interface and all 4 of my arduinos are failing the udev availability test.

View attachment 697029
Should I just try re-flashing the controllers? Prefer connecting via udev is checked on all controllers. Thanks for all the help.

That would definitely be the problem. I think I see what is causing the issue -- Try updating to the latest dev branch (just got pushed) and let me know if that passes afterwards

So dumb question, I brewed on Sunday and this is first time using ispindel and fermentrack. Today’s readings are great but will I get a true reading in a week or two since I think solids are affecting the tilt currently
A1528F54-8ACF-4F50-B6DD-DEC8F14C3328.png

I missed something. What was the question?
Will it tell me the correct numbers in a week or so when fermentation is complete and yeast etc has dropped to the bottom or will amount of crud that might still be on lid and body of the ispindel tilt it enough that I think it is at 1.013 fg but In reality it’s 1.023.
Like I said first time using it so not sure about final results.

right now it went from1.063 down to 1.018 in 3.5 days. Seems really fast in my opinion so not sure if byproducts are causing more of a tilt false reading or not.

My inclination is to think that krausen may affect tilt but I don't have one and cannot say.
That’s why I’m asking. I just wanted to figure it out. I’m old, fat, ugly, and boring so technologically sometimes is over my head.
1599759689002.png

Balrog, what do u use fermentrack for? What equipment would I need to covert a chest freezer into a fermentation chamber controlled by fermentrack?

so far all I have done is use it with my ispindel.

Fermentrack is the web/logging interface replacing BrewPi or BrewPiRemix
See here for best example of Arduino & hardware to do things the way I did years ago, subbing out a Raspberry Pi for a laptop I had lying about. Others have upgraded arduino with other controllers. But you need a programmable controller and solenoids to control freezer and additional small heat source.

Fermentrack is the web/logging interface replacing BrewPi or BrewPiRemix
See here for best example of Arduino & hardware to do things the way I did years ago, subbing out a Raspberry Pi for a laptop I had lying about. Others have upgraded arduino with other controllers. But you need a programmable controller and solenoids to control freezer and additional small heat source.
Yeah I knew what the software does and like I said I’m old fat and ugly. If someone doesn’t say buy x plug it into y and then connect z to fermentrack I can’t do it. I read the link u posted but I can’t figure it out. I know I can buy an inkbird for 50 plus a heating pad but I don’t think fermentrack can control it.

fwiw, Fermentrack can certainly control a heating pad in addition to a compressor.
It can't, however, control an Inkbird. But who'd want that? :)

Cheers!
Ok so what do I need to purchase to plug the heating pad into so fermentrack can raise the temperature? Guess that should have been my question. And I have a hammer, screwdriver, crowbar, saw and blowtorch ready.

Hi all
I've built a few iterations of this now and have just finished wiring my 'Final' (haa haa) build.

Never had any real issues before but this time I'm stumped.

I'm using a raspberry Pi4, 4Gb
with 3 ESP8266's (the Lolin D1 mini's LOLIN D1 mini — WEMOS documentation ) connected via USB (previous builds have used WiFi)

Fermentrack installs fine and initial setup goes as planned
I'm able to flash all 3 chips and the LCD display shows the normal info (mode, off. Temps set at 20C etc) indicating flashing has taken successfully
I'm able to add the first temp controller (on /dev/ttyUSB0 ) with no issues, fermentrack then interacts with that controller

However I cant add a 2nd temp controller. It appears on the Serial Controller Auto-Detection and i can select 'Set Up' and enter the device name, temp format, logging interval etc but when I click Submit I'm just returned to the top of the same page, no error message or anything.

So far I have tried:
An 'old' version of raspian buster (from May 2020) with a fresh install of Fermentrack
The new Raspberry Pi OS (32bit), on a different SD card, with a new fresh install of Fermentrack
Different USB cables (though all will successfully flash the temp controller)
Different USB ports on the Pi
Re-flashing all controllers
Adding the controller via the guided or advanced methods
Connecting a 3rd controller and adding that (so /dev/ttyUSB0 is added, /dev/ttyUSB1 is connected but not added and I attempt to add a 3rd on /dev/ttyUSB2)

In all cases the first controller works (regardless of the USB port, cable or controller connected first) but all future attempts just refresh the page when I click 'Submit' under the add device page.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

However I cant add a 2nd temp controller. It appears on the Serial Controller Auto-Detection and i can select 'Set Up' and enter the device name, temp format, logging interval etc but when I click Submit I'm just returned to the top of the same page, no error message or anything.

That sounds like a bug!

What's the path (the part after http://yourpi.local/) to the exact page you're seeing this happen?

That sounds like a bug!

What's the path (the part after http://yourpi.local/) to the exact page you're seeing this happen?

.../devices/guided/serial/autodetect/ESP8266/ when I try the 'guided' method or
.../devices/add/ when I try the 'advanced' method

Too add, I've 2, 3, 4 controllers operating before without issue but all my previous builds have used WiFi

.../devices/guided/serial/autodetect/ESP8266/ when I try the 'guided' method or
.../devices/add/ when I try the 'advanced' method

Too add, I've 2, 3, 4 controllers operating before without issue but all my previous builds have used WiFi

OK. And when you try the advanced method, just nothing happens (ie. you just get returned to the same form)?

If so, is it that it's hanging (trying to load the page but failing), not doing anything (not trying to load/submit), or actually reloading to the "add" page but not displaying an error message?

Last edited:
OK. And when you try the advanced method, just nothing happens? (ie. you just get returned to the same form)?

Yes, returned to the top of the same (advanced page)

If I put an intentionally wrong serial port (IE /dev/ttyUSB9) then the form completes as normal and it returns to the main page with a note saying
Device [CHOSEN NAME] Added.
Please wait a few seconds for controller to start (though obviously the script doesn't actually start as there isnt a controller added to that port)

If i put the first (already connected) port (IE /dev/ttyUSB0) or if I select the actual port I want to connect to (IE /dev/ttyUSB1 in this case) then I get the unexpected behaviour and I'm just returned to the top of the page. (I wouldnt expect to be able to reconnect to an already connected controller, just add this if it help diagnose)

Anything else you want me to try just ask :)

Last edited:
Yes, returned to the top of the same (advanced page)

If I put an intentionally wrong serial port (IE /dev/ttyUSB9) then the form completes as normal and it returns to the main page with a note saying
Device [CHOSEN NAME] Added.
Please wait a few seconds for controller to start (though obviously the script doesn't actually start as there isnt a controller added to that port)

If i put the first (already connected) port (IE /dev/ttyUSB0) or if I select the actual port I want to connect to (IE /dev/ttyUSB1 in this case) then I get the unexpected behaviour and I'm just returned to the top of the page. (I wouldnt expect to be able to reconnect to an already connected controller, just add this if it help diagnose)

Anything else you want me to try just ask :)

Got it. So there are two things that are happening:

1. Something is going wrong with adding your device, resulting in an error being raised when the form (as a whole) is being processed
2. I forgot to render these types of errors in the form's template

Once we figure out what the actual error is (#1) we can get it fixed but to do that I need to fix #2. Sorry about that.

The fix for #2 has been pushed to the dev branch - When you have a second, can you upgrade (click the gear in the upper right corner of Fermentrack and click through the Upgrade workflow) and let me know what error you start to see?

Thanks Thorrak
I clicked through but it didn't seem to update.
No visible error messages when trying to add a controller (I did double check).
Update log etc below:

Nothing to upgrade - Local copy and GitHub are at same commit
Upgrade from GitHub

Local Commit Info:
Active Branch:dev
Commit Date:Sept. 6, 2020, 7:38 p.m.
Commit Message:Add additional sys.platform string

::: Triggering upgrade from branch dev
::: Waiting 1 second for Fermentrack to send updates if triggered from the web...
::: Stopping circus...
::: Updating from git...
::: Updating requirements via pip3...
::: Running manage.py migrate...
::: Running manage.py collectstatic...
::: Relaunching circus...
::: Complete!
origin'.
Already up to date.
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already up-to-date: Django<3.1,>=3.0.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1)) (3.0.10)
Requirement already up-to-date: configobj in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 2)) (5.0.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyzmq~=19.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 4)) (19.0.2)
Requirement already up-to-date: pytz in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 7)) (2020.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: sentry-sdk in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.17.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: django-constance[database] in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 9)) (2.7.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: GitPython in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 10)) (3.1.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: zeroconf in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 11)) (0.28.5)
Requirement already up-to-date: circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 12)) (0.16.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: chaussette in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 14)) (1.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: huey>=2.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 15)) (2.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: pid in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 16)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyserial in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 17)) (3.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyudev in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 19)) (0.22.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: requests in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.24.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: esptool in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 22)) (2.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: packaging~=17.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 23)) (17.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: redis==3.4.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 27)) (3.4.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: PyBluez==0.23 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 28)) (0.23)
Requirement already up-to-date: aioblescan==0.2.6 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 29)) (0.2.6)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: sqlparse>=0.2.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from Django<3.1,>=3.0.5->-r requirements.txt (line 1)) (0.3.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: asgiref~=3.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from Django<3.1,>=3.0.5->-r requirements.txt (line 1)) (3.2.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: six in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from configobj->-r requirements.txt (line 2)) (1.15.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: urllib3>=1.10.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from sentry-sdk->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (1.25.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: certifi in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from sentry-sdk->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (2020.6.20)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: django-picklefield; extra == "database" in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from django-constance[database]->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (3.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: gitdb<5,>=4.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 10)) (4.0.5)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ifaddr>=0.1.7 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from zeroconf->-r requirements.txt (line 11)) (0.1.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: psutil in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 12)) (5.7.2)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: tornado<5.0,>=3.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 12)) (4.5.3)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: idna<3,>=2.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: chardet<4,>=3.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyaes in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 22)) (1.6.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ecdsa in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 22)) (0.16.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyparsing>=2.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from packaging~=17.1->-r requirements.txt (line 23)) (2.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: smmap<4,>=3.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from gitdb<5,>=4.0.1->GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 10)) (3.0.4)
Operations to perform:
Apply all migrations: admin, app, auth, contenttypes, database, external_push, firmware_flash, gravity, sessions
Running migrations:
No migrations to apply.
ok
ok

Thanks Thorrak
I clicked through but it didn't seem to update.
No visible error messages when trying to add a controller (I did double check).
Update log etc below:

Nothing to upgrade - Local copy and GitHub are at same commit
Upgrade from GitHub

Local Commit Info:
Active Branch:dev
Commit Date:Sept. 6, 2020, 7:38 p.m.
Commit Message:Add additional sys.platform string

::: Triggering upgrade from branch dev
::: Waiting 1 second for Fermentrack to send updates if triggered from the web...
::: Stopping circus...
::: Updating from git...
::: Updating requirements via pip3...
::: Running manage.py migrate...
::: Running manage.py collectstatic...
::: Relaunching circus...
::: Complete!
origin'.
Already up to date.
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already up-to-date: Django<3.1,>=3.0.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1)) (3.0.10)
Requirement already up-to-date: configobj in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 2)) (5.0.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyzmq~=19.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 4)) (19.0.2)
Requirement already up-to-date: pytz in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 7)) (2020.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: sentry-sdk in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.17.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: django-constance[database] in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 9)) (2.7.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: GitPython in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 10)) (3.1.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: zeroconf in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 11)) (0.28.5)
Requirement already up-to-date: circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 12)) (0.16.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: chaussette in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 14)) (1.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: huey>=2.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 15)) (2.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: pid in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 16)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyserial in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 17)) (3.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyudev in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 19)) (0.22.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: requests in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.24.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: esptool in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 22)) (2.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: packaging~=17.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 23)) (17.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: redis==3.4.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 27)) (3.4.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: PyBluez==0.23 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 28)) (0.23)
Requirement already up-to-date: aioblescan==0.2.6 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 29)) (0.2.6)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: sqlparse>=0.2.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from Django<3.1,>=3.0.5->-r requirements.txt (line 1)) (0.3.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: asgiref~=3.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from Django<3.1,>=3.0.5->-r requirements.txt (line 1)) (3.2.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: six in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from configobj->-r requirements.txt (line 2)) (1.15.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: urllib3>=1.10.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from sentry-sdk->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (1.25.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: certifi in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from sentry-sdk->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (2020.6.20)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: django-picklefield; extra == "database" in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from django-constance[database]->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (3.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: gitdb<5,>=4.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 10)) (4.0.5)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ifaddr>=0.1.7 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from zeroconf->-r requirements.txt (line 11)) (0.1.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: psutil in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 12)) (5.7.2)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: tornado<5.0,>=3.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 12)) (4.5.3)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: idna<3,>=2.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.10)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: chardet<4,>=3.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyaes in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 22)) (1.6.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ecdsa in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 22)) (0.16.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyparsing>=2.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from packaging~=17.1->-r requirements.txt (line 23)) (2.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: smmap<4,>=3.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from gitdb<5,>=4.0.1->GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 10)) (3.0.4)
Operations to perform:
Apply all migrations: admin, app, auth, contenttypes, database, external_push, firmware_flash, gravity, sessions
Running migrations:
No migrations to apply.
ok
ok

UGH. I need caffiene. Try again now - I pushed to the wrong branch earlier. 😳

👍
Error message now displayed is
Prefer connecting via udev is set, but another device is set up with a similar udev serial number. To proceed, uncheck this option or remove the other device.

When I untick 'prefer connecting via udev' and try I get
A device is already set up with that serial port or alternate serial port. To proceed, change ports, or remove the other device

Which is weird as I am trying to add /dev/ttyUSB1 (No alternative port) but the only already installed controller is on /dev/ttyUSB0 (again no alternative port). Double checked this in the Django admin

👍
Error message now displayed is
Prefer connecting via udev is set, but another device is set up with a similar udev serial number. To proceed, uncheck this option or remove the other device.

When I untick 'prefer connecting via udev' and try I get
A device is already set up with that serial port or alternate serial port. To proceed, change ports, or remove the other device

Which is weird as I am trying to add /dev/ttyUSB1 (No alternative port) but the only already installed controller is on /dev/ttyUSB0 (again no alternative port). Double checked this in the Django admin
Progress! Try updating again and let me know if it works now.

Legend :thumbsup:

Got the following error:

The device [1st device name] has a conflicting udev serial number to the one you are currentlyattempting to set up, and has 'prefer connecting via udev' turnedon. This can cause unexpected behavior. Please disable this optionon the other device (or delete it entirely) to proceed with addingthis one.

But even this strategically shaved monkey can follow those instructions :)

As a side note, when you 'change' a BrewPi device via the Django admin option it wont allow you to complete the form without entering something in 'Wifi host ip' even when connecting via serial. No issues I just bunged anything in there but not by design I suspect.

Thanks so much. All 3 devices happily connected via serial (and in a quicker and more friendly way than most paid for services)

Can ubidots and fermentrack monitor an ispindel at the same time?

I don't know, tbqh. Fermentrack doesn't "push" data to ubidots, so unless the iSpindel can target both simultaneously, then the answer is probably no, unfortunately. Certainly possible that the iSpindel can push to both at once, though.

I don't know, tbqh. Fermentrack doesn't "push" data to ubidots, so unless the iSpindel can target both simultaneously, then the answer is probably no, unfortunately. Certainly possible that the iSpindel can push to both at once, though.
I know ubidots is referenced in ispindel setup but wasn’t sure.

Run into an issue with my tilt sensor, the associated controller reads the gravity from tilt at 1.004. Constant. Seems stuck with temp and gravity. The tilt app shows gravity at 1.014, wish I had caught it before the ferm took off. Why would it be stuck? I ran one fermentation with this tile before and it went flawlessly. Now it doesn't want to track properly. Did I not reset up correctly? It's in the beer now and I don't want to bother it much. I figured it should just report the data when its woken up and sitting at an angle. But it's not seemingly reporting anything, the controller is getting /interpreting incorrect data. Should I delete and reattach?

Run into an issue with my tilt sensor, the associated controller reads the gravity from tilt at 1.004. Constant. Seems stuck with temp and gravity. The tilt app shows gravity at 1.014, wish I had caught it before the ferm took off. Why would it be stuck? I ran one fermentation with this tile before and it went flawlessly. Now it doesn't want to track properly. Did I not reset up correctly? It's in the beer now and I don't want to bother it much. I figured it should just report the data w hen its woken up and sitting at an angle. But it's not seemingly reporting anything, the controller is getting /interpreting incorrect data. Should I delete and reattach?
silly question but has date changed? I missed fact that date was same for three days at end of my fermentation. My battery had died🤣

silly question but has date changed? I missed fact that date was same for three days at end of my fermentation. My battery had died🤣
Weird thing, but the logging just stopping happened to me too and I had just started my tracking. I restarted my Pi and the date and info updated, so I thought it was just an issue with my Pi. Then a day later (this morning) it happened again.

Yea my pi just got restarted, but I can try I guess. The battery isn't dead because the tilt app can grab It directly

edit:Both the fermentrack log and the tilt time seem to line up. might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting the tilt when im done with this beer?

Last edited:
Ok, two questions: first off in fermentrack sensor settings for my ispindel it says my current battery is 4.270501 what does that mean?
second of all I am trying to added ThingSpeak to my push settings but when I put in my device and api key(I tried both read and write api key) from thingspeak and hit add push target it gives me this:
IntegrityError at /push/thingspeak/add/
NOT NULL constraint failed: external_push_thingspeakpushtarget.brewpi_to_push_id

Request Method:POST
Request URL:http://192.168.1.19/push/thingspeak/add/
Django Version:3.0.9
Exception Type:IntegrityError
Exception Value:NOT NULL constraint failed: external_push_thingspeakpushtarget.brewpi_to_push_id
Exception Location:/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py in execute, line 396
Python Executable:/home/fermentrack/venv/bin/python3.7
Python Version:3.7.3
Python Path:['/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/git/ext/gitdb',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/bin',
'/home/fermentrack/fermentrack',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python37.zip',
'/usr/lib/python3.7',
'/usr/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload',
'.',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gitdb/ext/smmap']
Server time:Mon, 28 Sep 2020 14:20:15 +0000

The error is on brewpi_to_push_id, which should come from the fourth option here (Brewpi to push). It looks like it wants a BrewPi device, not a gravity sensor.

Screenshot from 2020-09-30 06-20-08.png

As for the battery question, that's voltage. It's a nominal 3.7 volt battery, but max charge will be around 4.2 volts, and if I remember correctly it's usable down to about 3.2 (or maybe it was 3.5) before your iSpindel will stop functioning properly.

Back