fermenting under pressure Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting ready to ferment under pressure with a keg but have a few questions first.
1) What kind of beers do best and worst for fermenting under pressure?
2) when fermenting under pressure with lagers do I ferment at 50 F like I normally do, or leave it at room temp (67 f)?
3) Is there a yeast that doesn't work well with pressure fermentation?
4) I have seen where people don't put a spunding valve on until 24 hrs. Is this correct?

Check out some related videos on YouTube from users like Short Circuited Brewers, David Heath Homebrew, and The Apartment Brewer. Some of them go in depth and even do a comparison of pressure vs non pressure (Apartment Brewer).

Certain yeasts like Belgiums I wouldn't want to pressure ferment. That might take away the ester profile. I plan on doing a lager in a ball lock corny keg. Just got to find the time to brew (if that ever happens...).

1- beers where you want very clean results, little to no ester character
2- you can do either.
3- hefe and other wheats can have trouble, some saisons report trouble as well
4- up to you. generally if you keep it under 7-10psi it isnt considered to inhibit growth of yeast, so that's what i do initially, then ramp it up to 20-30 after a day or so. or you can do a double pitch and spund from the get-go.

I keep it simple. I ferment in kegs. I had my son build a couple of handfuls of pressure relief valves that are roughly 13 psi by using a thinner spring. I picked up a long length of thinner spring material. He determined the proper length and built a bunch. It works fine. Want a different pressure, just change the length of the spring. Much cheaper option when you are fermenting multiple kegs at a time. I typically brew to ferment in multiples of three kegs at a time. The most I've had fermenting at once was six kegs.

Last edited:
everyone pressure ferments a little different.

typically, ales are best without any pressure initially. yeast "expression" for lack of a better term is what you want. especially hefe and saision types.

lagers are usually clean and crisp tasting so low/moderate pressure from the beginning is fine. either at larger temps or ale temps.

Bringing this back...

I have a question for those who pressure ferment - Is there a reason I shouldn't use yeast from a pressure fermented batch for a batch to be non-pressure fermented?

Bringing this back...

I have a question for those who pressure ferment - Is there a reason I shouldn't use yeast from a pressure fermented batch for a batch to be non-pressure fermented?

I have done this many times with no problems. Vitality and Volume are important, the former often being low if you dump/pitch yeast after cold crashing. I now dump into an Erlenmeyer flask and then add 1 can of Proper starter on a stir plate for 8-ish hours to ensure it is also active before re-pitching. This is especially useful if the captured yeast sits in the fridge for any amount of time before re-pitch.

More to your question, if the yeast tolerates pressurization to begin with (i.e. did it get to FG?), I don't think re-pitching it is a problem.

I have done this many times with no problems. Vitality and Volume are important, the former often being low if you dump/pitch yeast after cold crashing. I now dump into an Erlenmeyer flask and then add 1 can of Proper starter on a stir plate for 8-ish hours to ensure it is also active before re-pitching. This is especially useful if the captured yeast sits in the fridge for any amount of time before re-pitch.

More to your question, if the yeast tolerates pressurization to begin with (i.e. did it get to FG?), I don't think re-pitching it is a problem.
Why would cold crashing reduce its vitality? It would happen if you harvested in a jar and pitched 1-7 days after as well. It'll only have been cold crashed for about 2 days, should I decide to brew tomorrow after work. And yes, it did reach the expected FG.

Bringing this back...

I can't see any reason there would be any difference in the harvested yeast.

Just use an appropriate amount of yeast cake or slurry.

Thanks, guys. The beer cold crashing now is a 3.5 gallon batch of Mexi lager that fermented at 60F at about 22PSI and I'm thinking to step up and brew 5 gallons of my dark Mexi lager which I brewed back in the fall and absolutely loved. Not pressure fermented (or even low o2 brewed!) but was one of my all time favorite beers I've brewed. Can't decide if I want to do a big batch or try and see if it's any different with the smaller pressure fermented process I use.
Downside to having two processes (big and a small batch) is that there's always the constant struggle to decide which to use...

The only thing I would recommend is to slowly de-pressurize the yeast to be repitched. Pulling the prv after you keg the previous batch certainly has to be a stressor, just as increasing pressure is the other way.

The only thing I would recommend is to slowly de-pressurize the yeast to be repitched. Pulling the prv after you keg the previous batch certainly has to be a stressor, just as increasing pressure is the other way.
See, this is what I was wondering about. Would the yeast be more stressed and therefore less healthy because of the pressurized fermentation, especially at 1.5 bar for full carbonation...?

The pros repitch yeast from CCVs that have had up to 1 bar hydrostatic pressure on them, not counting head pressure without any problems. I have gone 4 generations without any issues. I add goferm protect evolution at flameout on a repitch to give the yeast every advantage available and slowly take pressure from the fermenter over the course of 4-6 hours to let the yeast slowly acclimate. I don't think you will be disappointed with repitching part of your yeast cake.

The pros repitch yeast from CCVs that have had up to 1 bar hydrostatic pressure on them, not counting head pressure without any problems. I have gone 4 generations without any issues. I add goferm protect evolution at flameout on a repitch to give the yeast every advantage available and slowly take pressure from the fermenter over the course of 4-6 hours to let the yeast slowly acclimate. I don't think you will be disappointed with repitching part of your yeast cake.
Thanks for the info.

Why would cold crashing reduce its vitality? It would happen if you harvested in a jar and pitched 1-7 days after as well. It'll only have been cold crashed for about 2 days, should I decide to brew tomorrow after work. And yes, it did reach the expected FG.

This past batch I did, I pitched the yeast cake from my All Rounder into my 15 gallon corny. The All Rounder sat at room temps between kegging and repitching (8 days between brews). I pitched the cake into the corny around 6pm last night. This morning, when I got up it sounded like a Harley idling. The yeast is US-05.

Chugging right along at 75F with the spunding valve at 15psi.

This past batch I did, I pitched the yeast cake from my All Rounder into my 15 gallon corny. The All Rounder sat at room temps between kegging and repitching (8 days between brews). I pitched the cake into the corny around 6pm last night. This morning, when I got up it sounded like a Harley idling. The yeast is US-05.

Chugging right along at 75F with the spunding valve at 15psi.
It sat at room temp for 8 days? Even under pressure I wouldn't think to do that... The beer I pitched into (dark Mexi lager, non-pressure fermented) from the pressure fermented batch fermented really well. If the Tilt is to be believed, it's currently at 1.011 after 5 days. But Tilts are horribly inaccurate nearing the end of fermentation, so there's no telling what the gravity is at. I won't know until I go to keg it in a week or so. The main thing will be how it tastes, was the yeast stressed from being pressure fermented and will create off flavors, etc. We'll see...

It sat at room temp for 8 days? Even under pressure I wouldn't think to do that... The beer I pitched into (dark Mexi lager, non-pressure fermented) from the pressure fermented batch fermented really well. If the Tilt is to be believed, it's currently at 1.011 after 5 days. But Tilts are horribly inaccurate nearing the end of fermentation, so there's no telling what the gravity is at. I won't know until I go to keg it in a week or so. The main thing will be how it tastes, was the yeast stressed from being pressure fermented and will create off flavors, etc. We'll see...

I don't have the room to chill my All Rounder due to its size. I've gotten a lot of older ingredients I'm trying to use up, so if this beer is a dumper no problem.

In the past, I've gotten Wyeast 1056 in the mail where the pack was pretty swollen from the heat during travel. Despite a few days in a hot UPS truck, that beer turned out decent.

I don't have the room to chill my All Rounder due to its size. I've gotten a lot of older ingredients I'm trying to use up, so if this beer is a dumper no problem.

In the past, I've gotten Wyeast 1056 in the mail where the pack was pretty swollen from the heat during travel. Despite a few days in a hot UPS truck, that beer turned out decent.
Gotcha. This is why my pressure fermented batches are all 3.5 gallons (2.5 gallon keg full) because fermenting in a 5 gallon keg is super awesome and easy. I really wish I could do this for 5 gallon batches but I don't have the capacity (kettle or fermentation). The beers just turn out so much freakin' better.

I don't order liquid yeast in the summer months for that very reason. Pretty much spring and fall when the temps are around 40-50F, no warmer.

Back