Fermenting pail seal issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
Troubleshooting this one is not going well. I'm pretty much out of ideas so hopefully someone's run into similar and can help!

Cyser was started on the 7th in a 2gal fermenter pail with about 1 1/2 - 2 inches head space and gravity sitting at 1.165. After 18 hours zero airlock activity so I swapped it out for a different one just in case it was something small. Not the airlock. I thought I'd left too much head space but the fermenter does note that it doesn't seal air tight.

I brought up the volume which ended up in a fun blow off situation with the air lock, leaking around the gasket and lid seams. So it's not that because I ended up siphoning off to fix it. Airlock had activity though and yes it's fermenting. Been attempting to weight the lid without much success. Tried dry rice, beans etc and other weight but none of them are working. Seems like unless you're leaning on the seams it's not giving you a good seal at all. Don't need this effecting my cyser.

Only have 1 free carboy right now so I'm stuck.

Well...I used to get all bend out of shape about poor sealing buckets and airlocks with no bubbles. These days, I just want it covered up to keep out the dust and bugs...you know the really big chunks of stuff. Most buckets and carboys seal well enough to get the job done.

BUT...it did take me a while to get to this point and I am still amazed that the yeast can do it's job with the least amount of interference from me....in fact they work better the less I mess with them. BUT...watching the bubbles is the fun part!

I ferment in primary with no lid, just a towel over the fermenter so I can stir twice a day.

Once fermentation slows, the mead needs to go into a carboy with an airlock, but not right now.

Good to know! Thanks everyone. Had a friend who used to brew and dropped a mint basically make it sound like unless everything is perfect you're going to ruin a batch with air and a ton of other factors but I know better on a lot of it that you don't have to be super high tech expensive to get good results.

If the bad seal bothers you, try giving it a wrap around with plastic wrap once or twice. The one I have in a bucket fermenter doesn't have much airlock activity until I stir it to release CO2 then it goes mad for awhile. But it has a lot of fruit on top and a ton of head space.

bah, my lids aren't sealing anymore either. I still use them and have great beer on tap with out issues. I miss the bubbles though... :(

Going to have to use the cling wrap trick next go with that pail thank you! It's racked out to carboys at this point and I guess it's really going to be a wait and see. Or in another month or 2 if it's still this bad it's going to be a dump out and burn the recipe!

I was watching a show on port made the old fashioned way. Fermented in an open vat. The floating fruit pieces providing the only barrier. They just raked it around to make sure all the juice was covered.

I currently have the same issue, and have done the same troubleshooting routine - changing airlocks, changing lids, weighing down the lids - with no satisfactory results. I also love to see and hear that airlock bubble away, and it also gives a good estimate on fermentation rate.

I'm considering applying a thinned bead of silicon to the inside ridge of the lid. Aquarium stores sell a non-toxic brand that you can use inside your tank without killing your tropical fish. I figured that wouldn't kill me either. ;)

Good to know! Thanks everyone. Had a friend who used to brew and dropped a mint basically make it sound like unless everything is perfect you're going to ruin a batch with air and a ton of other factors but I know better on a lot of it that you don't have to be super high tech expensive to get good results.

People have been doing this for literally thousands of years. Even before we knew about yeast or bacteria. It ain't rocket science!

People have been doing this for literally thousands of years. Even before we knew about yeast or bacteria. It ain't rocket science!

This is true. With the criticism I got I worried that honestly I'd be setup for failing but with the holidays I know based on honest unbiased opinions (my family doesn't pull punches lol even if friends might) that I'm turning out good mead without dropping a mint. Not saying I won't be upgrading with having the space after moving and doing larger batches and not saying that I won't get some more spendy tools then but it's nice to be able to just relax and know that you can brew inexpensively and have great results. My friend was uber peeved sampling so I'm thinking they quit out of failure vs not having the time and getting too expensive. Gave me perspective and a lot of peace =)

The biggest thing I have learned is that this stuff takes time. I've brewed mostly ciders and just starting mead, but my best stuff is made when I leave the carboy in the back corner and get involved in my other hobbies. Maybe your friend was trying to do too much and not waiting enough.

Totally agree. I think that's going to be my approach with my cysers and just letting them sit because right now where they started and where they are is a massive difference. Was advised they were awful and to dump them but I disagree and think it's a waiting game. Part of me wonders if that "it's gross dump it out" mentality led to high cost for them on supply when a few more months or a year would have produced good results.

The cling wrap around the pail did a nice job on a test though so I'll be going ahead with that plan in the future if I'm doing a bigger batch or low on open carboys!

Primary fermentation doesn't need to be covered (except to keep out bugs, dust, etc). As long as the SG is dropping at a decent rate you are fine.

Funny point, there is a tequila maker in mexico, saw it on mexico one plate at a time tv show, that ferments in open air no cover no nothing, bugs and all. Admittedly a lot higher alcohol content than mead I just found it an interesting watch. Though most of us use some form of barrier mainly to prevent any potential issues due to not wanti g our efforts to go in vain.

Totally agree. I think that's going to be my approach with my cysers and just letting them sit because right now where they started and where they are is a massive difference.

For aging, I believe you should move to glass. Most plastics are slightly porous to oxygen and may allow oxidation despite being "sealed".

For aging, I believe you should move to glass. Most plastics are slightly porous to oxygen and may allow oxidation despite being "sealed".

I do all secondary and aging in glass. Pail is great for primary and larger batch runs going to 2 1gal carboys so I think I've got a good working system at least until we move. Then finally big carboys so the proven recipes can go 5 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back