Fermenting/kegging German weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls just in need of your wise advice brewing a german weiss beer. Is this normal with the fermenting as never had a brew ferment this mad is it safe to leave overnight? Its pushed the lid off just dont ant bactira/air getting in. And with this beer when kegging its asking me to add priming sugar to the keg do I need to add this as kegging and using co2. Also what pressure would you recommend to set for carbing up in keg.

Gareth
1591043076060631375974065306159.jpg
15910431536463701097412436747161.jpg

Switch the airlock for a blowout tube, your airlock is already getting clogged. Then it should be fine overnight. Personally I don't add priming sugar when I'm kegging but it can be done, you just have to let the keg sit out while the yeast consume the sugar before chilling to serving temp.

Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use? I'll be using Wyeast 3068 for the first time my next brew and everything I've read about it is that it needs a huge headspace or blowoff tube.

Dont have a blowout out tube so.will have to chance it. Will have to invest in one tho. Lesson lernt now doing this kind of brew need massive head space hopefully will turn out ok. Used the boxed German weat yeast that the festival kit came with. I never use sugar in kegs to prime either was just asking in the instructions to do this but will leave. Thanks for the great advice take care

Gareth

If you can keep it in a really clean environment, it might just be ok. "Open fermentation" is employed by quite a few breweries - in particular for Weißbier -, but not so much among homebrewers, due to the risk of infection.

I would suggest to skim off the top layer of the Kräusen once it begins to fall.

Back