Fermenting in the 70s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpaddy

Reaction score
Hi all, did my first all grain brew last week in my 35L robobrew. It's a samuel smith nut brown ale clone from a kit.
I don't have a basement and I've been fermenting with an ambient temperature in the 70s. The sticker thermometer on the side of the primary has been 70-76. I did buy a cooling kit for my anvil fermenter, but it's too late now.

So how are the temps going to affect my brew? I figure I'm 2+ weeks away from bottling.

Thanks

In summer, I brew at an ambient temp of about 73 F. Wort temp can be 4 degrees or so above that when it‘s really crankin. Brew comes out fine. Winter it’s about 68 in the brew cave. i don’t notice any difference In the quality of the beer. But that’s just me. I think your nut brown ale will be excellent.

In summer, I brew at an ambient temp of about 73 F. Wort temp can be 4 degrees or so above that when it‘s really crankin. Brew comes out fine. Winter it’s about 68 in the brew cave. i don’t notice any difference In the quality of the beer. But that’s just me.
Thanks.
"Airlock Sniffer"
Hahahahahaha
I keep sniffing mine too. I wait for the (now) occasional burp and get my nose real close to get a good whiff. I've made my boys take a sniff and they hate it. Which gives me a good giggle.

Thanks.
"Airlock Sniffer"
Hahahahahaha
I keep sniffing mine too. I wait for the (now) occasional burp and get my nose real close to get a good whiff. I've made my boys take a sniff and they hate it. Which gives me a good giggle.
I’ve never sniffed an airlock I didn’t like.🙃

I just did a primary ferment of a lager I brew regularly at 70° for a change. After 5 days I transferred it to keg and cold crashed it. So far no off flavors and tastes extremely similar to the others that I have followed a normal lager ferment schedule. I have fermented in the 70s multiple times and haven’t been able to detect a noticeable difference. If it gets in the 80’s.... that’s a different story. Accidentally did that once and had some bad flavors.

You’ll notice it more with different styles and yeasts than others. A hefeweizen can be very different depending on brew temps - but good at either extreme in my book. A brown ale should tolerate it just fine. The only time I have had beer develop off flavors is when I’ve tried adds or let one go too long. I have had secondary fermentations start that I allowed to complete before bottling and wished I had not. Not an infection, just a nice even foam and resumed airlock activity. Most recently in a Moose Drool clone I was trying the bourbon barrel effect on. Even then it was drinkable, just made you kind of look at the glass and go, hmmm...

Last edited:
Hi all, did my first all grain brew last week in my 35L robobrew. It's a samuel smith nut brown ale clone from a kit.
I don't have a basement and I've been fermenting with an ambient temperature in the 70s. The sticker thermometer on the side of the primary has been 70-76. I did buy a cooling kit for my anvil fermenter, but it's too late now.

So how are the temps going to affect my brew? I figure I'm 2+ weeks away from bottling.

Thanks
What yeast? Some tolerate warmer temperatures better than others.

What yeast? Some tolerate warmer temperatures better than others.
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale
I'm not sure why I picked that yeast or if it was just a random pick. I ordered everything months ago and I wasn't able to get everything in until a week or so ago.

I thought this was going to be a thread about fermenting practices from the 1970’s.

Here you go: Pour your boiling hot wort into a glass carboy half-filled with cold water. What could possibly go wrong? And don't forget to use a "lid," but only (apparently) if you are fermenting in a bucket.

(Paraphrasing from the first addition of "Joy.")

I thought this was going to be a thread about fermenting practices from the 1970’s....disappointed.
1593599072703.jpeg

Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale
I'm not sure why I picked that yeast or if it was just a random pick. I ordered everything months ago and I wasn't able to get everything in until a week or so ago.

That yeast gets weird at 68 in my book. Pitch at 62 max 64 and keep it at 66 until it’s very close to done. Lots of esters and higher alcohols. Definitely not an English ale yeast you can ferment warm. There are others that are way more flexible.

US05 OTOH is cleaner at 70/72 than 62

That yeast gets weird at 68 in my book. Pitch at 62 max 64 and keep it at 66 until it’s very close to done. Lots of esters and higher alcohols. Definitely not an English ale yeast you can ferment warm. There are others that are way more flexible.

US05 OTOH is cleaner at 70/72 than 62
Well, that milk has been spilt. I ordered another nut brown kit and this time I ordered Lallemand windsor dry yeast. Unfortunately I don't have a way to keep the fermenter under what it is now. In a few months it'll be a different story.

Back