Fermenting in Keg Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer4All

Reaction score
Just switched 2 brews ago from fermenting in a fermonster to fermenting in kegs. The brews I have done have toasted great but I always seem to have small little pieces floating in the beer. Just doesn’t seem to clear like all previous brews in the fermonster.
I cold crash to 40F for 3 days before transferring and fine with gelatin on day 2.
Haven’t changed process between both fermenting styles. Anyone else had issues like this?

the fermenting keg I am using has a trimmed dip tube about 5/8”. I have fermented under pressure to about 5 psi then sounded toward the end.

You might try a floating, filtered dip tube in that fermenting keg. This is what I use in my Fermzilla and even without cold crashing, a lot of junk is left behind so I haven’t had floaters in the serving keg.

I used a floating dip tube on my last IPA with a filter. Worked awesome for dry hopping. For most beers I bent my regular dip tube so I have about 1/4-1/2 gallon of deadspace so as not to pick up any of the yeast/trub. Works nicely.

Back