Fermenting in corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southiebrewing

Reaction score
I have been fermenting in carboys now for about two years. About 3 batches ago I started racking into kegs for the secondary and filtering from keg to keg before serving.

I would like to use a 5 gal. corny keg to ferment in rather then the glass carboy to make transferring the beer easier and free of oxygen.

Has anyone tried fermenting in a corny keg? What's involved in converting a keg to a fermenting vessel (stuck valves, dip tube shorting, air lock, ect.)?

Yes, lots of people do that. You can take off a post and put on an airlock (or a blow off tube) without much trouble. The only thing I can think of is that you'd have to make a smaller sized batch than I normally do- I usually put 5.5 gallons in the fermenter to end up with 5.0+ gallons in the keg but of course that wouldn't work in the 5 gallon keg. A keg holds a bit more than 5 gallons, but it would be a tight fit for a 5 gallon batch I'd think.

there are so many threads on this site with detailed information and heated opinions about fermenting in cornys. search for them, read them. disregard the opinion of anyone who says you can't / shouldn't do it!

Back