Fermenting in boiler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_is_therapy

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for letting me ask this question.

This is my first brew. It is 5 gallons of an extract brew with 2oz of hops boiled for 45min. I was planning on fermenting in a plastic bucket, but when I transfered the cooled wort it started slowly leaking out of the bottom of the bucket. Panicking, I transfered it back into my boiler which is a modified stainless keg (top cut out, two fittings welded on for heating electrodes). So then I had 5 gallons of wort in the keg with the hop pellets at the bottom and decided to try and ferment in there. I pitched the yeast and covered the keg with a stainless plate with an airlock in it and used plumbers putty to seal the top to the keg.

It is showing signs of fermenting. I tasted some of the 1 day old wort and it is less sweet and slightly carbonated even compared to the wort right after boiling. Also there is a very strong hoppy taste (but good).

Basically, what is the problem with fermenting in a boiler and why don't people do it much?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete
Welcome to HBT! Somewhere around here is a thread about fermenting in the pot. I can't remember too much about it but I don't think it got a thumbs down.

One good reason to not ferment in the boiler is that we usually have more than one beer at a time going. If you tie up your boiler, you can't make more until it finished.

I can only think of four downsides of varying degrees.

1. Temp control. I can't put my converted keg into my fermenting fridge.
2. Sealing. If you have a reasonable way to cover the opening, good enough for primary but you'll want it to seal pretty tightly after active fermentation is dying down.
3. Ties up your brew kettle for subsequent brews. Not a problem if you only brew once a month.
4. Maybe harder to clean up the kettle after it sits for that long.

Apart from the other issues mentioned, too much trub is also a concern. While trub has amino acids essential for yeast metabolism, too much can be a bad thing as well. When yeast ferment in the presence of too much trub, they can produce fusel alcohols. Trub also contains other compounds that can result in an off-flavored beer.

Hey thanks for the quick and intelligent responses guys! Everything that you said makes sense, especially the part about the trub. I pretty much agree that my boiler is not an ideal fermentation chamber, but am glad that my first batch will not be wasted.

Thanks again,

Pete

Back