Fermenting Hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desp

Reaction score
Need some advice on what I should be doing during the summer for brews.

I've brewed 3 stout/porter dark beers now this summer, every single one of them has a varying degree of butterscotch smell, (diacetyl?) from what I'm guessing is too hot of a fermentation temp - around 79 degrees.

It's pretty much 100+ degrees outside here every day so I can't really keep my house at 70 degrees.

I've been using white labs yeast, is there a certain recipe style I should be looking for, that uses a warm fermenting yeast that'll do better at around 80 degrees and not produce off flavors. Or is there something I can do afterwards to clean up the diacetyl flavors?

One other thing, I had a bottle explode, maybe from over carbing? Anyway, I put the whole batch in the fridge so they wouldn't keep breaking, if I take them out now will they continue to age once it warms up, or is it done?

The diacetyl should age out in my experience but most likely you probably have some fusel alcohols in there that will produce a harsh taste. Look at "swamp cooler" to help maintain temperature. People even use bathtubs. Yes if the bottles warm back up then the yeast will consume there business unless they are dead from a extended period of time from being to cold / to old.

Belgian yeast are better at really warm temperature. Of course your beer will have Belgian characteristics which obviously do not mesh with certain styles of beer.

If you're at the point of bottles exploding then the rest of the batch will probably be highly overcarbed. I had a similar problem with a stout I brewed - they were fine for about 2 months after bottling, but then the bottles got over 80F for a few days while I was out of town. After that every bottle was way overcarbed (and one bottle exploded).

Putting the bottles in the fridge will stop them from carbing anymore (and will help the CO2 dissolve into the beer), but if you're going to keep them be real careful when you open/move the bottles.

Need some advice on what I should be doing during the summer for brews.

I've been using white labs yeast, is there a certain recipe style I should be looking for, that uses a warm fermenting yeast that'll do better at around 80 degrees and not produce off flavors. Or is there something I can do afterwards to clean up the diacetyl flavors?

Saisons seems to a popular beer to ferment at very high temperatures. Here's one thread where folks discuss fermenting at 85+ F.

Saison fermentation temp

The only issue is keeping the temperature consistent overnight. Even my attic cools off 10 degrees or so by morning.

I started a Racer 5 clone IPA 6 days ago, it's been fermenting in my house at 78 degrees... Is it too late to put it into a swamp cooler setup to bring the temp down, or just roll with it how it is?

The first suggestion of putting it in the bathtub was great, I have a guest bathroom that never gets used so I can fit 2 or 3 buckets in there at once and should be able to keep it pretty cool.

You really only have to worry about temp control during the really active fermentation process, right? Which the Racer 5 is past, but maybe for the future.

I started a Racer 5 clone IPA 6 days ago, it's been fermenting in my house at 78 degrees... Is it too late to put it into a swamp cooler setup to bring the temp down, or just roll with it how it is?

The first suggestion of putting it in the bathtub was great, I have a guest bathroom that never gets used so I can fit 2 or 3 buckets in there at once and should be able to keep it pretty cool.

You really only have to worry about temp control during the really active fermentation process, right? Which the Racer 5 is past, but maybe for the future.

Yeah its probably too late now. Active fermentation would be key. I don't think it would hurt though to get those temps settled out.

If you're at the point of bottles exploding then the rest of the batch will probably be highly overcarbed. I had a similar problem with a stout I brewed - they were fine for about 2 months after bottling, but then the bottles got over 80F for a few days while I was out of town. After that every bottle was way overcarbed (and one bottle exploded).

Putting the bottles in the fridge will stop them from carbing anymore (and will help the CO2 dissolve into the beer), but if you're going to keep them be real careful when you open/move the bottles.

This is exactly what I feared was happening in my basement. I have an unconditioned space where I keep all my brews. In the winter it's great because it's an oversized fridge. But this summer, it got quite a bit hotter than usual here and I have run into some overcarbed issues. And a few select bombs. Thanks for confirming my fears though.

I also have a saison going right now. It's been 2 and 1/2 weeks and still going. Temps have been in the 80s and 90s here in NYC and I don't have a/c in my kitchen where it sits. I don't know what the internal temp is as the stick on thermometer only goes to 78, and it is off the chart. It started at 1.050 and was at 1.012 at last check, and I have the equipment in the sanitizer bucket right now to take another reading.

This reading says 1.008! And it is still bubbling away! And absolutely delicious.

I used to live in N Texas. Whew, Denton in August! Only 100F outside? Having a cool summer huh?

Other than Saisons, there are not many strains that wont produce off flavors at such high temps. And, keep in mind that the wort during active fermentation is likely a few degrees warmer than ambient temp. Big beers can mask off flavors, but there is a limit.

I've done a lot of warm climate brewing and my suggestion is come up with a way to cool your fermentor. Being able to control your ferm temps accurately will also take your brewing to another level -- makes a big diff. A swamp cooler arrangement would work OK in your area (humidity is showing as 55% now which is probably dry enough to be effective) or a small fridge or freezer with an external thermostat is easy and relatively inexpensive to set-up. I use a small chest type freezer with an external thermostat that will hold a few kegs (...while working on my much expanded keezer design!).

It's only 79F here in tropical Guate now, max of 88F today,...sure don't miss Texas in the summer!

you either want to be brewing Saisons with saison yeast OR pale ales hopped to high hell(out of balance for style) and use Australain dried ale yeast

I was in the same boat being in South Carolina. Watched Craigslist a got a large wine bottle cooler. I can now control fermentation from 74 degrees down to 43 degrees and anywhere in between. Can hold a temp with in 2 degrees.

It has made the biggest improvement to my brewing. Since then I found another. Can't fit my conicals but a 6 gallon better bottle no problem.

IMAGE_EB2AE469-B598-4572-B422-06FB13608F4A.JPG

I've got a mini fridge too but I use it to cool my bottles since I don't have a keezer. Saisons have been the spotlight for me this summer for sure as this has been my summer of "experimentation". Honey Ginger Saison & Jasmine Saison Twist both my own recipes. Aramis Saison from AHS going now. I'm REALLY looking forward to cooler weather soon because I want to get my first AG brew going - There She Gose Again and then a Coconut Porter.

All in all, the saisons seem to be how I'm going to run my summers in the future just so I don't have to worry about them :)

Fellow DFW brewer checking in... fermenting at ambient temperatures this time of year is beastly, but I've had a lot of luck (even without a swamp cooler) with S-05 this time of year. I keep my house at 75 when I'm fermenting, and with enough time, S-05 is still rather clean at that temp.

A fermentation fridge/freezer would be ideal, and a swamp cooler would be much better than nothing. For my next batch I'm planning on using bottles of ice in a converted cooler (with the lid insulated with Great Stuff) to control temps. I'm looking forward to finally being able to use a yeast other than S-05. :cross:

Good luck!

Also, to the original OP, this is something I'm planning to brew this weekend - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/bbd-saison-furtif-155009/ - it's gotten 100% positive reviews it seems and does well at higher temps. Best of luck!

Morning, I hadn't thought of the cooler option....I think one of my buckets would work well in the new igloo i just got for my mash tun. food for thought there. thanks!

Look to invest in fermentation temperature control if you want to brew styles outside of Saisons in the summertime. It is well worth the investment IMO. Your beer will be better and more consistent. Probably the best investment you can make in your brewery. A swamp cooler setup will easily run you less than 20 bucks. If you're a serious brewer then I'd like into the freezer/fridge for fermentation.

I'm probably going to have to just get some type of frige, my problem is not buying the frige but finding space for it!

So far I've had luck with lighters beers, did a Boddington clone, Orange Cream Ale, have a Racer 5 that's almost done and it tasted pretty good. I'm getting all of the issues with the porter/stouts. I just bottled a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and it has a lot of flavors it shouldn't have.... Hopefully if I let it go for like 6 months it'll come around, this is my third stout that has had off flavors and that made me look more closely at my fermentation temps, which I now realise are way too high.

I used to live in N Texas. Whew, Denton in August! Only 100F outside? Having a cool summer huh?

Yeah, it's really weird how cool it's been, mid 90s right now, been around 100 for a few weeks... Last year or the year before it was about 110 every day.

OK, so I just convinced my wife, if her Racer 5 clone comes out funky tasting its because of how hot it was fermenting, and I have to use our chest freezer with a temperature controller for summer brewing, she agreed.

What's the sweet spot for most strains, 65, 70 degrees?

shoot man...you'll have a good amount that you can do in that range but with that temp control you'll have the ability to do good Kolsches, Lagers, etc. You're basically going to be opening up a whole lot of good stuff!

brewing in SC is a challenge too, hot & humid. I use a swamp cooler, on or near an air conditioning vent. I want to try the cool brewing bag set up that was given away here on HBT recently.

What's the sweet spot for most strains, 65, 70 degrees?
Depends on the strain; 65-70 should nail it for anything that's not a lager yeast or a Belgian. Check the yeast packet for specific ideal temps.

Each strain strain has an ideal temp range. I try to hit it in the middle if not a few degrees below the middle. My Ales recently have been bubbling away at 64 to 66 degrees. They finish quick, clear and with less funky flavors. Before I was upper 70s inside the house here in SC.

I brew outdoors and now ferment in the garage. Nothing is done indoors and the wife is happy. Both coolers stack on each other so I can keep two 5 gallon batches bubbling at a time.

Back