Fermenting and serving in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrus

Reaction score
I am living in arizona the ambient temperature right now is 75° in the house. The temperature outside is 48°at night but rises to 78° during the day. In my keezer I have a Saison on co2, a christmas ale in a corny keg that is "bottle conditioning" and a pale ale that is in it's fifth day of fermentation in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I want to drink the two beers that are kegged in the keezer. Would it harm the pale ale that is in it's fifth day of fermentation to drop the temperature to 48°?

If fermentation is complete you should be OK. You would, basically, be lagering it. If not, just take it out and let it finish up at the higher temperature. At this stage there shouldn't be a problem.

Bob

Depending on yeast you used for your PA, I would say you'll be alright to drop the temps as its likely finished ferment. I would check gravity first though, if it hasn't finished fermenting it will just stall it. Optionally, you could pull your pale out and let it finish up in the warmer ambient temps for a few days. Then rack, if you do secondary and put the carboy back into the freezer for cold crashing.

5 days isn't enough to complete the ferment on your beer but it is enough that any off flavors would be developed. At this time letting it warm up is your best option as it will encourage the yeast to clean up any off flavors and complete the ferment.

Thanks a lot for the info everyone! I guess I've learned something new here. I was always under the impression that if my beer got warmer than the recommended fermenting temperature of the particular yeas I was using, then the beer would have a lot of of flavors. But what i'm hearing here is that after the primary fermentation is complete and during secondary fermentation a higher temperature would not produce any off flavors or ill effects?

So I dropped the temperature in my keezer and the difference in temperature in the fermenter created a vacuum and sucked in about one quart of diluted iodophor solution that was at the other end of my blow off tube. So now I have a good amount of iodophor in my fermenting pale ale. Just thought everybody would like to know if they decide to try this in the future. It is definitely a factor that I never even considered. Lesson learned. I will not do this again and from now on I will use a sanitizer that I'm not worried about getting into my beer.

Back