Fermenting a Cream Ale Cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annapolisftw

Reaction score
I purchased a Brewer's Best cream ale kit. The instructions are pretty general because they are used for many different styles. In a brewing book that I bought, however, I learned that a cream ale should be fermented for one week at room temperature and two weeks in the 30's and 40's. If I am unable to get my beer that cold, would there be a benefit to fermenting it in the 50's? (Should I try to get it as cold as I possible can?)

I purchased a Brewer's Best cream ale kit. The instructions are pretty general because they are used for many different styles. In a brewing book that I bought, however, I learned that a cream ale should be fermented for one week at room temperature and two weeks in the 30's and 40's. If I am unable to get my beer that cold, would there be a benefit to fermenting it in the 50's? (Should I try to get it as cold as I possible can?)

Maybe- but it's important to know which yeast strain you have. Some yeast strains are inactive below 60 degrees, some are inactive below 55 degrees, and some (if not all) are inactive below 48 degrees.

Which yeast strain comes with the kit? It should be on the yeast package.

A cream ale is just like any other ale- brewers best would include a dry yeast, which you'll want to keep in the low-mid 60s F. The cold step is likely a "lagering" period which may help your beer clear and give it a bit of crispness, but isn't necessary. The yeast won't be doing anything, and unless you get the beer down to 32ish, you won't really get the benefits of a real lagering anyway. I've never lagered my cream ale and think it tastes great.

Back