Fermenter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am actually brewing on a 5 gallons system, and ready to upgrade for bigger batches. I'm gonna get a 15 gallons kettle and mash tun (15.9 real capacity), but I'm not so sure on the fermenter size I should get, as I am actually brewing mostly hazy IPAs, but also plan on brewing double mash/high gravity imperial stouts, so definitely not the same batch sizes.

Obviously, my batches are gonna be smaller with stouts, but they also need more space for krausen - and that's where I read different things. What's your take on that?

I'm thinking a 17 gallons fermenter (looking to get a SS Brewtech Chronical, so the other option would be 14Gal). If a smaller size would actually work best for big stouts, an option could also be to get the 17Gal for my IPAs, and get smaller brew buckets for the stouts.

Last edited:
I would say to get a fermenter that is 1 to 2 gallons bigger than whatever size brew you plan to do the most. I brew 5+/- gal batches so I have a 6.5 gal fermenter. In also have a 5 gal fermenter for lagering and a 3 gal for experimental brews so I don't get stuck with 5 gal of something I may not like. With an assortment, you're not tied to one size. If you decide to do a 5 gal brew again, you don't want 5 gal of headspace in a 10 gal fermenter.

There are also other advantages to having several fermenters. I recently had a Belgian in my 6.5 gal fermenter that was taking longer than expected to finish. I really needed to get started on my holiday brew so I just downscaled it to 3.75 gal and fermented in my 5 gal fermenter.

For my high gravity beers I use a plastic 7.5g bucket for my 5.5g batches. More surface area for krausen.

Currently eyeing one 7gal SS Brewbucket as a replacement for my collection of glass.
I agree with the 2 gallons of headspace to allow for krausen, it sounds like a logical idea. Time to trade in the glass for New Year!

Back