Fermenter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bige9920

Reaction score
So i am starting to scale up production and i was wondering if you think there would be an issue with me using a 30 gallon conical fermenter for 16 gallon batches? i just wonder if there is too much head space left over? my thought is it is ok but looking for advice.
:mug:
Thanks!

Do you think that Anchor Brewing has too much head space in this picture?
Anchor-Steam-Beer-open-fermentation-550.jpg

Your primary headspace isn't an issue but if you decide to use a secondary, then the headspace is crucial.

So i am starting to scale up production and i was wondering if you think there would be an issue with me using a 30 gallon conical fermenter for 16 gallon batches? i just wonder if there is too much head space left over? my thought is it is ok but looking for advice.
:mug:
Thanks!
There are nicer ways of saying it, but RM-MN is right: you're fine for primary, but if you were to rack to a secondary, you'd either want less head space, or purge the fermentor with CO2 before racking, as once fermentation subsides, oxygen is the enemy,

thanks for the feedback. i figured it would be ok. good idea with the purging of the secondary. i was thinking about that on my way home from work.

The only other thing I would consider is if it has any temp control implications. For example if there is a cooling coil, or heating/cooling elements mounted on the side you'd want to be sure that a smaller batch would still have the wort in contact with these things. Maybe for something that big you're planning a temp controlled chamber?

Latest posts

Back