Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matias

Reaction score
So I am doing two beers for my first brew a porter and a wheat. I could my worts to 70 degrees and pitched them both. The porter started with slow bubbles about 24 hours in but now today it is on and off. I have it sealed and good to go in a stable 70 degree evironment.

Second question: my gommet on my wheat fermenter was missing so I used tape. After 48 hours it didnt bubbe rapidly so I bought a few gommets. Within five minutes it was bubbling like crazy. So my question is, should i add more yeast because it was not sealed or will it be fine?

So I am doing two beers for my first brew a porter and a wheat. I could my worts to 70 degrees and pitched them both. The porter started with slow bubbles about 24 hours in but now today it is on and off. I have it sealed and good to go in a stable 70 degree evironment.

Second question: my gommet on my wheat fermenter was missing so I used tape. After 48 hours it didnt bubbe rapidly so I bought a few gommets. Within five minutes it was bubbling like crazy. So my question is, should i add more yeast because it was not sealed or will it be fine?

First part sounds fine to me.

The grommets make a tight seal around the air lock in order to keep out bacteria and oxygen. No, do not pitch more yeast.

A couple of things.

70 degrees ambient is probably too warm for most yeasts. Fermenting beer can be as much as 5-10 degrees warmer. What yeasts did you use?

Second. Bubbling means nothing. It only means that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. Sometimes if a bucket is not. sealed all the way the pressure with find the path of least resistence and escape that way. No worries.

Watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things.

70 degrees ambient is probably too warm for most yeasts. Fermenting beer can be as much as 5-10 degrees warmer. What yeasts did you use?

Second. Bubbling means nothing. It only means that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. Sometimes if a bucket is not. sealed all the way the pressure with find the path of least resistence and escape that way. No worries.

Watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzT_KTTZ0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what the video is showing. To short/fast.

I agree 70 is to high to start when you take into consideration the heat created by the fermentation...

The air heating inside the carboy creates a pressure differential so it bubbles. Temps in the mid-60's to about 68F would be better for the porter.

He said pitched at 70F. I have pitched all of my batches at close to 70; however, they cool to about 65F in the basement.

Back