Fermentation won't start//too much Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forced outgassing is essential. The SO2 (sulfur dioxide) gas produced by the K-Meta retards yeast growth, and most needs to be removed before fermentation can begin.
Good stirring a few times a day is one way to get it out of your cider.

BTW, we don't "sterilize" in brewing and wine/cider/mead making. We merely sanitize and do it as thoroughly as we can.

So, I spent quite a lot of time doing the following :

poured the cider into clean sanitized bucked, then used a kitchen whip to bascially remove as much gaz as possibl, then transfered it to an other bucket and started again and again

The smell ofthe juice is now back to the normal "Apple-y"

Small update:

What I did yesterday was ( for most of it) a success : my three 5 liters jugs are bubbling like crazy! fermentation has finally started.

Unfortunatelly it has not yet in the big 25 liters fermenter.... but I will do the same operation again tomorrow but this time only with the juice in the big fermenter!

you help was precious lads, thanks

Good to hear! That proves it's working.
Now that bigger, deeper vat takes much longer to shed all the sulfite. Keep doing it until it starts fermenting too.
I will do the same operation again tomorrow but this time only with the juice in the big fermenter!
Of course, a fermenting vessel should never be aerated again! That would certainly cause oxidation, which is very bad.

Update 2: came back home yesterday to see that my 25 lit. Bucket was fermenting too! Thanks a buch lads

Back