fermentation whats the difference between beer and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
are all of the residual sugars in beer non-fermentable? I want to make some cider I have a bunch of lalvin d-47 and a few pound of honey and brown sugar.
-
I would rather not keg this but I would like it to turn out sweet. any one have any luck with splenda or lactose? would malto-dextrine help at all?
-
I know this keeps coming up but just thought I would bring it up again

Yes

Rack it, sweeten to taste with Splenda or lactose, prime and bottle. Very few people find MD sweet.

killian said:
are all of the residual sugars in beer non-fermentable? I want to make some cider I have a bunch of lalvin d-47 and a few pound of honey and brown sugar.
-
I would rather not keg this but I would like it to turn out sweet. any one have any luck with splenda or lactose? would malto-dextrine help at all?
-
I know this keeps coming up but just thought I would bring it up again

From my experience Brown Sugar adds a bit of a twangy taste to cider. I would really watch how much you use if any at all. I wouldn't use Splenda because it tastes horrible and may be bad for you (splendaexposed.com).

For a sweeter tasting cider I've had really good luck with Saccharum. I made a modified Ed. Worts Apfelwein with C&H's Baker's Sugar which instead of fermenting to a dry consistencey stayed sweet tasting... I would really recommend trying cane sugar instead of dextrose in cider.

Hope this helps a bit...

Latest posts

Back