Fermentation Time, Yeast Autolysis and Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffHaines

Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to my post. I'm a relatively new home brewer and I'm doing my first IPA. I've read a lot of competing opinions on the proper length of time in the primary taking into consideration yeast autolysis and opinions that letting your beer sit on the trub/yeast bed will impart other than desirable flavors.

For the most part, I'm convinced leaving it in the primary fermenter through the completion of fermentation and dry hopping will be just fine; however, I'd like to see what some more experienced brewers think.

This is a five gallon batch brewed last Sunday. I used two vials of WLP001. One went directly into the wort from the vial and one was used in a yeast starter. Its clear the beer is still fermenting (still about a half inch of krausen and the bubbler is going off roughly every 30 seconds or so). I'd like not to lose any hop flavor or aroma.

Here is my plan unless you guys have some wisdom to impart: Let fermentation finish, dry hop (1oz Citra) for four days (NLT 14 days after primary fermentation began), then bottle.

Anyone have some more educated/experienced advice?

Thanks!

Your plans are certainly the way I would do it.

I NEVER, move to secondary unless I just have some crazy reason for it. I've left beer in primary for months and months before. I may move to secondary if I need the yeast but have no kegs or bottles for the particular beer, or if I'm going to dry hop and I don't want any hop matter in my yeast cake. But heck, throw your hops in some stockings and you can harvest yeast just fine too.

Oh and congrats on your first IPA, welcome to the hobby, and this forum.

Back