Fermentation time using Nottingham Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbarks

Reaction score
How long do you think it will take from start to finish my cider? I have not used this yeast before. It is my third cider brewed, each time I have used a different yeast. I hear good things about this but I have not seen how quickly it can ferment. I do not want to have it go too low to quick on me.

6 gallons costco juice, 2 lbs brown sugar
OG 1.081
I would like to end at 1.01

Start temp 70F

Room temp - 64F

Thanks

Other than the 2# of Brown Sugar, this is what I use for my recipe. (I only use about .5#)

I usually pitch around 60-65, let it go for a few days and then bring the temps down to around 56-58. I can usually hit 1.020 in a week and then the last .020 takes between 2-4 weeks at the lower temps.

With an OG of 1.080, I would slow this one down as much as possible and let it age for a minimum of 2-3 months. There's a good chance you are going to have a "hot" tasting cider without some extended aging. I've never used notty for anything over about 8% ABV.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I do plan to age of for about 2 months in secondary and then try a sugar carb instead of force carbing.

I'll cool it down when I get home to keep it tasty.

I got it to sit at 63F and I'm already at 1.054. This is a quick fermentation. Crazy! Next batch I'll put it in the cellar around 55 and see.

Back