Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i met an issue at the beginning of the fermentation. Temperature grows up to 32C and fermentation process was very active. After 48h it stoped, temperature 22C and airlock looks dead. Yeast was MANGROVE JACK'S CS YEAST M15 EMPIRE ALE
I have 2 question
1) Should i handle this temperature grow at the start, or this is ok?
2) What should i do with my current batch, should i just follow gravity and bottle when i match FG?

That's a hot fermentation for an ale, fam... And I was worried when mine got up to 72.6F the other day... Are you able to give the lid a gentle press to get a whiff out of the airlock and see if it smells skunky? That's why I usually do, without letting any oxygen pull back into it. Mine currently smells... yeasty and it's been 3 days or so.

I recently posted a "should I toss this batch" thread and the general rule of thumb is don't toss a batch until it's been kegged or bottled for x amount of time...

that is definitely hot, i dont know much about that particular yeast strain so i cant give any input on what it will do flavor wise for you beer. i would absolutely still follow your gravity and bottle when ready. i have had some beers in the past that had a temperature spike before i had the equipment to control fermentation temp and it never resulted in dumping a batch. maybe some off flavors but i would still bottle it and let it condition for a couple weeks and give it a try.

Thx for response, but is it ok that temperature get so hight at the beginning?

Thx for response, but is it ok that temperature get so hight at the beginning?

What do you mean by "ok"? That's hotter than most ales should get, I believe. I'm sure it caused off-flavors that will give it a rubbing alcohol/alcoholic smell/taste, perhaps some other off-flavors like fruity esters.

Getting to that high of a temperature early in the fermentation is a worst case scenario. That's hotter than it is outside right now in Florida. I'd just let it sit in primary for a month...

agree with kookybrewsky here too, you definitely dont want that to happen and do something so as to avoid it in the future. if you mean "ok" as in will the beer be drinkable or make you sick, well it wont make you sick and it will be drinkable but flavors will be off. hopefully you can find a solution for you next batch.

What do you mean by "ok"? That's hotter than most ales should get, I believe. I'm sure it caused off-flavors that will give it a rubbing alcohol/alcoholic smell/taste, perhaps some other off-flavors like fruity esters.

Getting to that high of a temperature early in the fermentation is a worst case scenario. That's hotter than it is outside right now in Florida. I'd just let it sit in primary for a month...

I mean i never see that temperature grows so much at the beginning. Usually i'm ready to 3-4C grow but 10 up was a surprise for me :)

Latest posts

Back