Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I pitched 2 Carboys of Haus' Pale Ale with Safe Ale S-05. Today, the Carboys are at 62-64 degrees. I do have Fermentation going on, but nothing Overly Aggresive. 1 Bubble in the Blow Off Bucket about every 10-15 seconds. I'd like the temp to be at about 68, but I see no harm in them being at this lower temp. It'll take a little longer for Primary to complete, but I have nothing but time. Are their any negatives to being at this lower temp for my Primary Fermentation? I feel that as long as I keep a Vigilant eye on the Temp to insure that it doesn't drop below 62 degrees, I should be good.

I almost always use S05 at 60 degrees. No problems, actually a cleaner beer with fewer esters. Does take awhile to ferment out completely. Usually 12 days as opposed to 7, but I very seldom use a secondary vessel, so it is of little concern to me.

Is that the temperature inside the carboys or the ambient temperature? The temperature of the wort will usually be 3 to 5 degrees higher than ambient.

Latest posts

Back