Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueberryspies

Reaction score
I just started brewing this summer and I believe a lot of the off flavors I were because I couldn't ferment below a room temperature of 70 degrees. This winter with my house around 64 degrees I've had much better success.

So my plan for the warmer months was to place my fermenter in a big bucket with a water bath in order to keep the temperature in the lower sixties, at least for the first days of vigorous fermentation. Given my limited space and funds I don't see any other options. So does anyone think this will work well or have any advice?

Thanks

I just started brewing this summer and I believe a lot of the off flavors I were because I couldn't ferment below a room temperature of 70 degrees. This winter with my house around 64 degrees I've had much better success.

So my plan for the warmer months was to place my fermenter in a big bucket with a water bath in order to keep the temperature in the lower sixties, at least for the first days of vigorous fermentation. Given my limited space and funds I don't see any other options. So does anyone think this will work well or have any advice?

Thanks

That'll do the trick! If you want to get fancy, you can pick up a 60 qt. 'Ice Cube' cooler at Walmart, remove the lid, and fabricate a new one using rigid foam insulation. The project cost me $30-40 and it rocks. It fits a 6.5 gallon carboy nicely and is great for maintaining steady fermentation temps.

I use a big rubbermaid filled with water, a T-shirt over the carboy, and a fan blowing on the T-Shirt.

Gives me at least a 8 degree drop in carboy temp. Good enough!

keep an eye on craigslist for an old chest freezer, buy that and the purchase a temp controller and you can dial your fermentations down the the degree :D

I got away with the ice water bath and had success, I use a thermowell and freezer now though.

P1040820.JPG

Latest posts

Back