Fermentation temp and questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaconManic

Reaction score
Hi all, second time doing a extract brew myself.

I am doing a wheat ale using WLP380.

It says to cool wort down to 75, which I did. Then pitch the yeast. I then proceeded to out my fermentor down in my basement. The thermometer down there is saying it is 57 degree F in my basement.

I guess the question I have is that will my yeast go to sleep down there? The white labs site says to ferment between 66 and 70 degrees. To cold? I thought that with the process of fermentation it would raise the actual temperature up about 15 degrees F. I might be mistaken, but that is what I get the feeling for when searching.

Should I move the fermentor back up or leave it where it is? It doesn't seem like it is doing very much.

Edit:
I actually moved it to the downstairs shower that no one uses. I put a thermometer in there with a bucket of water for a few days and it kept the water at about 68 degrees. I think that might be the best place to keep it.

Maybe I am worrying to much.

fermentation can raise the
wort temp 5 to 10 degrees. depending on how a five it is. if you kept the wort at 68 degrees during active fermentation you should be fine. If the air temp was 68 you might want to go a few degrees lower.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

ok so your saying that keeping it in my basement at 57 degrees is a bad idea?

57 is a little cold. It would work perfectly for another type of yeast that ferments colder. Wyeast1007, fermentis and danstar all have colder fermenting yeast. That's what I did until I got a fermenting chamber. My basement is 58 ambient.

Ok I will leave it in the upstairs bath room. It's the coolest place in the house. Last I checked the water temperature in five gallon back was about 66 degrees. I guess that should work. Guess I just need to relax.

I brew my hefes with WY3068. I keep the fermentation temperature below 64° for more spice taste rather than banana. Not sure what WLP380 does. I would try to not let the temperature go over 66°. Plan for a 5° to 7° increase during the first few days of active fermentation. May not increase 7°, but be ready if you do want to keep the temp on the low side.

Ok. Thank you everyone. It seems the general reply is that 54 ambient temp is too low for this yeast. Thank you! I will keep it upstairs and RAHAHB

So the thermometer I had in the bathroom said it was 57 degrees on the floor of the bathtub. We don't use the tile shower. Now I'm worried the yeast went to sleep after sitting in it for 24 hours.

Guess I'll just relax. It has to make beer one way or the other, right? Stupid me without A hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back