fermentation restarted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on the 17th and pitched 2 packages of rehydrated notty. I put a blowoff tube in and 12 hours later it was going like crazy. About 5 days later I replaced the blowoff tube with an airlock. It hasn't done anything until today. I noticed it bubbling today. I know airlock activity isn't an indication of fermentaion and I haven't taken a hydrometer reading either. I haven't even opened the bucket. It has been at 58 degrees the whole time. The OG was 1.065. I will take the lid off tomorrow and take a reading but I am getting a little concerned. I usually leave my beers in the primary for a month so I am not in a hurry to keg this or anything but have just never seen this happen.

I know you said the temperature was constant but if it went even a small bit some co2 could come outta solution. Also pressure changes from the weather could effect the bubble. Only real way to tell if anything is still fermenting is a grab reading but you knew that already.

the bubbling your seeing is co2 escaping, since you brewed on the 17th your ale yeast was done about 7 days ago, most all cells are dormant now, but your low temp could also allowing the nottingham yeast to act like a lager yeast, just taking a bit longer, hydrometer will tell you the truth

I wouldn't worry. Leave it alone or just give it a swirl. You said yourself that you don't keg till after a month in primary, so wait and take a gravity reading then. Unless you made a 10%+ abv beer, 2 rehydrated fresh packs of notty should finish in about 5 days. It is more than likely dissolved co2 escaping.

Thanks for easing my concerns. It is still bubbling I think I am going to leave it alone for while.

58 degrees is on the low end, so it will take longer to finish up. I bet if you took a gravity reading now it wouldn't be at your expected final gravity. You're well past the growth phase so you could move to a warmer room and I bet you'll see even more activity.

58 degrees is on the low end, so it will take longer to finish up. I bet if you took a gravity reading now it wouldn't be at your expected final gravity. You're well past the growth phase so you could move to a warmer room and I bet you'll see even more activity.

I like keeping my ales at low temperatures and since I'm not in a rush I will just leave it where it is.

Back