Fermentation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
After working on my first AG, the fermentation started after 5 hours of sealing the primary fermenter and was quite fast. However as today (about 3.5 days later since I made the batch last Saturday), the bubbling rate has reduced significantly (~1.5 bubbles/min). Is this normal? When I shoulda transfer the wort to the secondary fermenter?

Thanks, Nil :mug:

Is it normal for a fermentation to begin at a faster rate and then to slow down? Of course! If it went forever, we'd never get to drink the stuff.

Secondary is an issue of personal preference. Some people transfer a few days after hitting FG, others don't transfer at all.

My experience is that it takes > 7 days to see such rate reduction. I know that I would expect a rate reduction yet not so fast.

My experience is that it takes > 7 days to see such rate reduction. I know that I would expect a rate reduction yet not so fast.

There's only one way to know for sure what is going on...bust out the hydrometer.

Fermentation is unpredictable. Even with a tightly controlled process and an identical recipe, you'll often see significantly different results from batch to batch. Most of my fermentations are done after 4 days or so.

Latest posts

Back