Fermentation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I have a slight issue and was looking for a better solution then what I have come up with and figured I would turn to you guys for advice. I live in the Northwest, where people don't really believe in AC, and its understandable as its only warm/hot for just a few months while the rest are pretty stable between 70 and 50 (coldest I've seen).

My issue is where to ferment. I have a spare refridgerator that is currently being used as a loggering place that I can maintain a steady 55 no problem, and I have a detached half buried garage that feels cool, but the thermometer in there jumps from 60 at night to about 70 in a day, and that is where I currently have my fermenters set up. My issue is the fluctuation...I have a glass carboy with a temp strip on it and have monitored it about every 2 hours with the following times and temps:

2am: 58 degrees
6am: 58 degrees
830am: 58 degrees
1030: 60 degrees
12: 62 degrees
2pm: 63 degrees
4pm: 65 degrees
6pm: 70 degrees
8pm: 70 degrees
10pm: 68 degrees

so I can tell by that, that the afternoon when the sun is hitting directly on the garage roof after passing over the trees is when it heats up, my concern is the amount of fluctuation here. So is there a way I can maintain a steady ambient temp? If I move it into the house, the fluctuation is even greater.

I am not opposed to building a fermentation chamber if needed, but before I sink any money into that, is there another way that I can keep the temps somewhat cooler at the hottest point by mitigation somewhat? I was thinking perhaps a swamp cooler set up with just turning the fan on the cooler just before the hottest part?

A swamp cooler and some frozen bottles would be worth a try, but if you see yourself sticking with the hobby, a dedicated fermentation chamber will make a big difference in your beers.

A swamp cooler setup filled with water acts like a heatsink that will help moderate and even out those temperature swings. I'm into my 5th year, and that's all I do for temp. control. The key is to check the temperature a couple times daily and adjust accordingly. During warm days I'll add 1/2 gallon size frozen water bottles, and if needed when it's cold, I use an aquarium heater. With this setup I've produced some pretty fine ales and lagers without temperature-derived off-flavors. Cheap can work!

As @kombat said a swamp cooler may be the simplest solution. Fill a heavy duty tote half full of water. Let the temperature acclimate for a couple of days in the garage then check the water temperature every 8 hours. The water will buffer temperature swings and may be the right temperature for the first few days of active fermentation when the working yeast are producing heat.

I forgot to mention that I even cold crash with the swamp cooler method. It takes about 4 of those 1/2 gallon frozen bottles, but I can get the water temp down to the low 30's. Of course, I do live in Maine where a warm spell might be 80ish for a day or two. :mug:

swamp coolers work but i think its pretty hard to beat a 20$ craigslist fridge with a itc and a space heater, you can ferment in any weather any time of year all without having to remember to swap ice bottles and play the guessing game.

I'm in the NW and just use a tub with frozen water bottles swapped out every couple days. For the hot days I'll drape a tshirt over the Fermentor and into the water.

I live in a dry climate with hot days and very cold nights. A fridge would be great, don't have one yet.

So I use a swamp cooler with ice packs for cooling and a temp-controlled oil fin heater for heating. I'm about to replace this with a brew belt heater as it's less wasteful. This setup works good because I can monitor the temp during the day and swap out an ice pack if needed. At night when I'm sleeping, the temp controller looks after the heating for me. Every morning the temperature is right where it should be.

Back