Fermentation problem or paranoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonic7173

Reaction score
Hey, just brewed my first batch over the weekend, an IPA extract kit. I pitched safale 05 on 72* wort temp and moved to 64* for fermentation. Temp has remained stable. No activity in airlock after 24 hrs, some slow bubbling at 48 hrs and now no activity again at 72 hrs. I didn't rehydrate the yeast on recommendation from local shop. Did I not aerate well enough ( added topoff water and aggressively stirred and mixed the wort)? Where do I go from here? I'm thinking give it another day or two and if nothing stir it up and repitch. OG was 1.062, close to the 1.064 the kit called for. Am I freaking out for no reason?

Do you have krausen? Airlocks are not always a good indicator of fermentation. Plus most of the fermentation is done in the first few days. Relax, it will be ok.

Most likely you are freaking out. Its normal for a beginner. We've all been there. The only way to tell if your beer has fermented is to take a gravity reading. You'll probably find you are at or near FG. FWIW, I have never re-hydrated dry yeast and have had great results.

I popped the lid on my fermentation bucket enough to see what looked to be a healthy layer of krausen on top. I just wasn't sure if I should be worried that the airlock activity had stopped so soon. I think I'll let it sit until the weekend and if still no more activity then take a hydro reading.

Buckets are notorious for not sealing. The co2 goes out the leaks, not the airlock, thus no airlock activity.

If you have healthy looking krausen on top let it be. The yeast are in a happy place - don't disturb them :)

I popped the lid on my fermentation bucket enough to see what looked to be a healthy layer of krausen on top. I just wasn't sure if I should be worried that the airlock activity had stopped so soon. I think I'll let it sit until the weekend and if still no more activity then take a hydro reading.

I like to post this article for new brewers as it answers so many of the questions about their fermentation.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

10 days is a safe bet your done. If your not dry hopping just leave it alone and at 10 days check it...It'll be done
If dry hopping you can start at 7 days if you want.

My diy fermenter, hole and grommet doesn't seal. My first brew I was very paranoid. No airlock activity, bad beer!!!

Worked out fine in the end. I now use "prestic" to seal the gaps :)

If you did the basics...give it a few days. Then you take the gravity and dryhop :rockin:

My diy fermenter, hole and grommet doesn't seal. My first brew I was very paranoid. No airlock activity, bad beer!!!

Worked out fine in the end. I now use "prestic" to seal the gaps :)

If you did the basics...give it a few days. Then you take the gravity and dryhop :rockin:

One of my fermenters has a piece of plastic taped on 3 sides laid over the hole. It makes fine beer too. I just don't get to watch bubbles.;)

Back