Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsccorpio227

Reaction score
I brewed a beer yesterday. I have Tilt Hydrometer that I use and most of my beer I see Gravity is going down. This beer is sitting almost at the same gravity for the past 6 hrs. The temperature is around 70F. Is it normal? It feels like this beer is almost at the end of my fermentation where gravity goes up and down by 0.001. Should I just wait or warm it up to 72 or higher? I used dry yeast SafAle US-05
1654024989579.png

I'd wait. Can you see any activity or are you fermenting in something more opaque? Any reason to suspect the yeast will not perform?

One of the reasons I do not have a Tilt... Id be looking at the damn thing all day LOL!

Any reason to suspect the yeast will not perform?
I forgot to refrigerate yeast as soon as I receive the package, but it is dry yeast so it might be not a big issue. I ran out of O2 and had to oxygenate manually by rocking.

I wouldn't think that did harm to your yeast, people have used beer kits that are many years old without refrigeration. Your OG is not super high either, RDWHAHB or maybe a commercial brew while you wait for this to finish up! :D
:bigmug:

I forgot to refrigerate yeast as soon as I receive the package, but it is dry yeast so it might be not a big issue. I ran out of O2 and had to oxygenate manually by rocking.
Check the Fermentis web site for product information on US-05 (for example: no need for O2 on 1st pitch).

Their "Tips & Tricks" brochure has a couple of charts that show apparent attenuation over time for a number of their strains. With the disclaimer that "[actual results] may vary under different conditions", here is some of the chart for an 18°P wort at 20°C:

1654030088886.png

Patience, patience, patience. If you need a beer right now go down to the pub.

I've done quite a few batches of IPA's with US-05 lately. I don't have a Tilt or Pill yet, but they normally started getting going good at the 12 to 18 hour mark. Once or twice I did see a little bubbling activity in the beer at about the six hour mark. Still it's krausen wasn't notably earlier than the others.

My ambient temp for the FV is 69°F ±1°. When the visual activity is about to really take off, the internal temps of the beer in the FV went up to 74 - 76°F.

So I wouldn't raise the temp currently unless you have a good way to cool it to maintain the optimal temps.

Also, with dry yeast, I don't aerate the wort at all. Nor do I make a starter. I just direct pitch.

By now you should be having some different results on your Tilt. Anything to relieve your anxiety about it?

It is moving, at 2% ABV right now. Usually, I had better results but this is the first time I am using SafAle US05.

I and others probably wait at least 48 or more hours to see if it's still the same.

In every case, staying longer than needed in the FV has produced good to great beers for me. Rushing beer out of the fermenter has given me the most beers that were less than what I was hoping for.

I use a paint mixer on a drill to oxygenate,, works perfect

Less is more sometimes, step back the yeast are experts and as others said 6 hours is nothing , if a a day or 2 goes by and its not moving then worry a bit but dont really worry cause its just a batch of beer and you can brew more

Latest posts

Back