Fermentation looked like snowglobe WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavywalker

Reaction score
I have looked around a little and found some references to fermentations looking like snow globes in starters, but never found anything relating to the entire batch of beer and specifically using WLP001. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I made an IPA and the fermentation looked like a snow globe, little white flakes churning in the carboy like crazy, it has started to slow down now but in was really, much different that what I have seen with any other fermentation up to this point.

Thoughts? experiences? I know it will be fine, I just want to learn something.

I've used that yeast many times. WLP001 isn't as flocculent as some of the other yeasts out there. It doesn't clump up as much as say 002 or 007. S04 clumps up real nice too.

A simple cold crash for a few days will drop most of it out, and then gelatin will make your beer sparkle if that's what you're going for. I don't consider myself a yeast expert or anything and i've never worried about it either.

I had some US-05 in a rye ipa that did the same thing. Total snowglobe. Its delicious btw :) .

Thanks, guys i am used to wine fermentations and never really noticed anything like that in them.

Oh yea, its pretty cool. When I first started brewing I would stare at the fermentation in the carboy for 10 minute at a time. Yeast explosions in the bottom look like minny mushroom clouds. It is much more noticeable in IPA's I think because of the wort clarity.

With starters, I definitely get snow globe on the more flocculent strains, but not with WLP001.

Back