fermentation lag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafeeker

Reaction score
So basically here is what went down. I brewed a dark lager last friday, had a yeast starter going, but had it fermenting at 50 deg and didnt realize it wouldnt be ready. So, after brewing, I took the starter out of my fermentation cooler and let it ferment at room temp. I let my lagers cool to fermentation temp anyway to avoid a diacetyl rest. Anyway, i let the starter finish, cooled in the fridge to let the yeast flocculate, decanted the nasty starter beer and pitched it on Tuesday. That means my wort sat 4 days without yeast. I really couldnt see any vigorous activity until today. Do you think i will have any problems with oxidation or anything like that, and if so, what will the off flavor be like.

Did you have the wort covered with an air lock or sanitized foil? Did you keep it in the cooler? If yes, then I would suspect you don't have any problems. Lagers are typically slow to start and appear lazy at times, but that is nature of the beast.

Back