Fermentation hasn't started yet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyOTG

Reaction score
Well, 60 hours after pitching my yeast, active fermentation has yet to start. Using safale US-05, I started with 4 gallons of 100% all natural cider and 2 lbs. of brown sugar. Ended up with an OG of 1.064. About 6 hours after pitching the yeast, there was a light, frothy ring around the top. 24 hours later, I added 5 tsps of nutrient. Not one bubble has gone through the air lock. I worked very clean and sanitized everything with starsan. I'm just wondering if it will

1. Start working soon.
2. Is there anything I should add to get it going.

I'm hoping this batch is not a lost cause. Any advice would be awesome, thanks!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

What temperature are you fermenting at? If you are fermenting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, it will take some time to fill the head space and create any airlock activity. Another thing to consider is that fermentation with a cider is not as aggressive as with wort in making beer. I am sure that fermentation is taking place, but just not as noticeable as you are expecting.

What temperature are you fermenting at? If you are fermenting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, it will take some time to fill the head space and create any airlock activity. Another thing to consider is that fermentation with a cider is not as aggressive as with wort in making beer. I am sure that fermentation is taking place, but just not as noticeable as you are expecting.

My first two questions as well. I'm guessing it's the 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy issue, temperature shouldn't produce no activity unless extreme.

It's been at a consistent 61°. I used Notty in my last 5 gallon batch and at the same temperature noticed a pretty vigorous fermentation after about 36 hours. I guess the thing that worries me about this batch is that it hasn't even started bubbling inside the carboy yet, just a thin ring of foam on the top.

Looks like I'm in business. Just got home and it's hard at work.

60 is low for the start of fermentation... that was probably your issue.

Back