Fermentation hasn't begun on WY1968 yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(cross-posted to Reddit)

All -

I brewed an IPA yesterday to pitch onto a slurry of WY1968 (London ESB) that I'd saved from a strong bitter I made a few weeks ago. My efficiency was a little higher than I expected, and boil-off was as well, and I ended up with a SG of 1.076. According to my iSpindel, I'm still at 1.076 in the conical after 13 hours. I pitched at 71f, the temperature rose to 72f and has dropped to 67f - all in the happy range for the yeast. I did no oxygenation besides splashing well while transferring from my boil kettle. I added a teaspoon of yeast nutrient to the boil.

I would think that the yeast would have done something by now, even with the high SG. Should I try shaking the conical, or should I give up on this yeast and sprinkle in some US-05 I have? There was a lot of hop particulate in the boil - is it possible that the yeast cake is covered by this? I have another pint of the slurry from my bitter - should I try to pitch that in?

You used slurry that's been dormant for a few weeks so expect at least a 2-3 day delay in fermentation activity. The yeast are in shock mode. Just leave it alone. Chances are it's going to be a late kick-off. If slurry isn't being repitched within a few to several days the yeast need to be fed to wake them up before pitching to FV wort, ideally.

You used slurry that's been dormant for a few weeks so expect at least a 2-3 day delay in fermentation activity. The yeast are in shock mode. Just leave it alone. Chances are it's going to be a late kick-off. If slurry isn't being repitched within a few to several days the yeast need to be fed to wake them up before pitching to FV wort, ideally.

Thanks! I was presuming I could get away with pitching the whole slurry. For the next reuse of this, I'll make a starter.

Thanks for reminding me to be patient. It definitely took off! Down to 1.052 already!

Back