Fermentation Halt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasnan

Reaction score
I've run into a setback while brewing my Irish Red. My thermometer stopped working while boiling the wort so I was unable to read the temp of the wort when I pitched the yeast. The carboy was warm, but not hot, to the touch and the WYeast packet was swollen when it was pitched. After about 24 hours, the fermentation was vigorous. Unfortunately, I brewed this batch just before a heat wave hit and the temperature of the carboy was about 76-78 F. After another 24 hours (48 hours from the start) there was no evidence of fermentation. After a further 24 hours (72 from the start) The carboy has started bubbling again but very slowly. I have not done any gravity measurements since the original gravity which was 1.032.

At first I thought that the fermentation just happened really quickly due the the temperature of the carboy. But why would it resume, even at this slow rate, after a day of no activity? Any theories as to what is happening or why it's happening? Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was thinking of taking a gravity measurement and perhaps bottling soon.

Slainte!

If the wort was warm to the touch, that's actually really really warm, so fermentation would go very fast and probably be over in less than 24 hours.

The reason it's bubbling now may be that the weather is changing, maybe the barometric pressure rising or a storm coming in. Or maybe it's 2 degrees warmer today than yesterday.

Wow, I never thought of a beer as a weather predictor but now that you mention it we did have a big storm, with a 20 degree temperature drop, last night. Yet another wonderful advantage to homebrewing!

So, do you think I should go ahead and bottle my beer and see what I get?

Wow, I never thought of a beer as a weather predictor but now that you mention it we did have a big storm, with a 20 degree temperature drop, last night. Yet another wonderful advantage to homebrewing!

So, do you think I should go ahead and bottle my beer and see what I get?

No, don't bottle until you have stable gravity readings over at least a three day period.

Back