Fermentation Extremes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a quick question for anyone out there. I brewed a high-gravity ale on Sunday and since have noticed both extremes of the fermentation scale. Sunday night (during my superbowl party) I got some sediment stuck in the airlock and it blew the lid off the fermenter bucket. I promptly replaced the lid and rigged a blow-off tube. Well not 24 hours later I'm down to 2~4 bubbles per minute. I've checked the lid and it is sealed. I'm thinking the fermentation is stalled, but not sure what to do. I've read that I should give it a quick shake and also that I should leave it and it will start up on it's own. What is the general consensus on this subject?

I did a batch Friday night with a 1.061 OG that fermented fast & hard (went on to previous slurry). It probably finished 36 hours later. I racked it last night (3 days total) and my FG was 1.008. It can happen...

what is the approx. temp of the area where it is sitting?

a warmer wort will usually result in a quicker ferment, with more esthery flavors in the finished brew. if your still seeing activity in the air lock, it's not stuck. just dwindling down. sounds like a good start though!!

i'd just let it sit another few days and check the SG to see where your at.

all sounds okay to me.

Mine started with a 1.073 OG and fermented hard for less than 24 hrs then died. Times like this I need a carboy I guess. Unfortuntately I'm stuck without a Secondary. Might have to buy one on the way home tonight.

The temp is approx 65F in my basement, although it's kind of chilly today so maybe slightly lower. I guess I'm just not used to such a thing. I brewed a Scotch Ale (my first) about 4 months ago and it had a steady fermentation for about 3 days at 10~15 bubbles/min.

i would. if it's a high gravity ale, it'll do it good to condition in the carboy for a while before you bottle it. don't have too, but it would help.

good temp too. i love it when a plan comes together....

2-4 bubbles a minute isn't stalled, just slowing down. Either check the SG or wait a few more days and check.

Can someone please tell me how to use both the airlock & blow-off tube at the same time? Am I just misunderstanding how the blow-off is used?

You don't use them at the same time. You use a blowoff tube while it's blowing off, then once things calm down you replace it with the airlock.

Actually, in my case I duct taped my siphon hose to my airlock. It wouldn't fit inside the airlock hole. That's how you use them together. Although, I would only recommend it in an emergency.

If you're using a carboy when a blowoff is needed I use this thing

700503.JPG

When I was using a bucket, I jury rigged something up but never had a chance to see how it would work (probably poorly). I only had one blowoff with my bucket when it blew the whole cover off...

Back