Fermentation cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull_Brewer

Reaction score
I know this topic has been touched on before, but I am looking for something specific.

I live in Florida, and keeping my fermentation temperatures low enough is a real struggle. I have made some great beers, but the ester after taste is always there.

I've read about using a fridge with a temp controller, or using a swamp cooler/ice rig, but I'm looking for something in between.

I want to know if there is an electric cooler like device, large enough to fit a 6.5 gal carboy, that i can plug in to keep temps about 15 degrees below ambient in my apartment (mid 60's Fahrenheit). I'm asking in the hopes of something cheaper/simpler than a refrigerator, but something requiring less upkeep than a swamp cooler. I've been craigslist surfing, and everyone around here wan'ts hundreds for their beat up mini-fridges.

thanks...ah yeah, and cheers :mug:

Look up "son of fermenator". It's a foam box with a couple of frozen two liters on one side and the fermenter on the other. It has a computer fan to draw cold air from the ice chamber to the fermentation chamber.

I'm asking in the hopes of something cheaper/simpler than a refrigerator, but something requiring less upkeep than a swamp cooler. I've been craigslist surfing, and everyone around here wan'ts hundreds for their beat up mini-fridges.

thanks...ah yeah, and cheers :mug:

If you want to be able to actively control and monitor the actual ferment temp, the fridge + STC-1000 route is your best bet.

After having bought and sold several things on Craigslist, I've concluded that many sellers tend to inflate their prices just to see if some sucker will come along and pay their outrageous list price. What they really expect to get is a lot less. I purchased my full-size fermenter fridge and my upright lagering freezer from CL. I paid quite a bit lower than asking price for both.

Be patient, look for the deals, be ready with cash and a pickup truck. Remember, they want your cash more than the old fridge that's been taking up space at their house.:D

Here's another option - http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/07/ends-soon-highly-rated-7-cu-ft-deep.html

What's your budget?

I'd agree that a fridge/freezer plus controller is the easiest way to go. Nothing to build or modify, just plug the controller in, set the temp, and tape the probe to the side of your carboy with some insulation on it.

I picked up a fridge for free and a chest freezer for $100 on craigslist. Costco in my area has a nice looking chest freezer that is just the right size for $174. If you keep looking on craigslist you're bound to find a suitable chamber for $100 or less and you'll be happy with the plug and play operation of using something like that with a controller.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many carboys a specific sized chest freezer will hold? E.g., 7 cu ft = 2 carboys, 15 cu ft = 4 carboys, etc.? Obviously it will vary based on the model, but is there a general rule?

Back