Fermentation Chamber Validation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

Reaction score
Quick question on ferment chamber temp control. I have thumbed through some search results on temp fluctuation and have started to question my setup. I have the typical STC-1000 in a chest freezer with a small space heater which seems to hold temps within a degree or so +/- so no complaints there. My question is on sensor placement.

I will be brewing batches of varying sizes and potentially have them fermenting together. So what I did was put my sensor in a gallon jar filled with water. I figure that 1 gallon would be the smallest I would ever make but could have 5 gallon batches as well. So as long as the 1 gallon holds temp the 5 gallon should be pretty close. Are there any thoughts on a better way to handle this?

I will also be careful about what yeast I have fermenting to make sure they all have similar optimum ranges.

The smaller container will fluctuate in temps quicker than the larger container but I don't think it will cause you any issues. Especially if you're fairly steady with your temps anyway. I usually just tape the sensor to the outside of the fermentor and go from there.

The smaller container will fluctuate in temps quicker than the larger container but I don't think it will cause you any issues. Especially if you're fairly steady with your temps anyway. I usually just tape the sensor to the outside of the fermentor and go from there.

I thought about that as well since it seems the most common but with my tendency to second guess myself far too often, I would go crazy figuring out which one to tape it too :drunk:

hah! I second guess myself constantly too. Then I remember that it's more than likely not going to matter all that much. Like when you have a stomach ache and you go online and convince yourself that you have some weird stomach disease only sharks get... kinda like that.

Back