Fermentation chamber question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anders9962

Reaction score
Hi,

Im sure this question has been asked a lot before, but I couldn't find any good answers so......

I'm building a fermentation chamber out of an old fridge, and since I live in Canada and winter is here, I'm going to need a heat source installed.

Now a lot of people on this great forum talk about the different types of sources used, bulbs, heat pads, hair dryers etc. What im struggling to find is any tips about how to wire it. Do you drill in the fridge and pray not to ruin it? Do you have the power cord going thru the door and break the seal?

Any ideas, tips for this thirsty brewer???

Cheers!!!!

Here is an idea I copied. Instead of putting the bulb base on the can lid I attached it to the bottom of the can. Works amazing in the winter and cost me under $10.

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

I didn't use the pancake box or the connectors. I just hooked the wire to the base, covered it with electrical tape, then covered the whole base with duct tape so I don't get bbq'd.

Hi,

Im sure this question has been asked a lot before, but I couldn't find any good answers so......

I'm building a fermentation chamber out of an old fridge, and since I live in Canada and winter is here, I'm going to need a heat source installed.

Now a lot of people on this great forum talk about the different types of sources used, bulbs, heat pads, hair dryers etc. What im struggling to find is any tips about how to wire it. Do you drill in the fridge and pray not to ruin it? Do you have the power cord going thru the door and break the seal?

Any ideas, tips for this thirsty brewer???

Cheers!!!!

Living in South Texas, I'd love to even have a winter, much less one cold enough to need to keep a fermenter warm. I still use a swamp cooler in December.

But the question still remains, pinch the cord in the door or drill a hole in the fridge?

It's up to you if you want to drill a hole or run it through the door. I drilled a hole, one tip is to take a small finishing nail and hit it with a hammer just hard enough to punch through the skin, then push the nail in and move it from side to side to feel for any coolant line.

Dont bother drilling, just run it through the door. Your putting a giant heater in a confined space its not going to be on that long anyways and heat rises...so just make sure you come in from the bottom of the door if possible and minimal heat loss should happen. If your using a chest freezer you really have no issues as those lids are usually so heavy they seal fine with cords in the way ...

Living in South Texas, I'd love to even have a winter, much less one cold enough to need to keep a fermenter warm. I still use a swamp cooler in December.

But you live in The United States of America! (although where you live more likely resembles mexico)

Trump card

Back