Fermentation chamber oops. ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
Hello all!
My 3rd brew!
I made a fermentation chamber using a thermoelectric wine cooler. While it cooled down to 45* itself, it seems to be holding the chamber temp at around 66*. The controller is showing high because i opened the door to take a picture. The carboy thermometer shows 70*-72*. While that's workable for ale...... I'm doing a Bavarian Dark Lager. I'm using Saflager S-34/70. While I expect to have off flavors, any thoughts on how bad?

Thanks!

Here are the pics.

1415666860365.jpg

1415666884354.jpg

According to the fermentis datasheet, that yeast can tolerate up to 71*F, but around max 59*F is best.

Your fermentation chamber may be at 45* but air is a poor heat conductor to your carboy, and in primary fermentation it may very well go way over that temp. One thing you could try is submerging a good part of your carboy in cold water (in a bucket, plastic bin or something) inside your chamber. You will experience way less fluctuation in temperature and the heat generated by the fermentation will dissipate more easily in a large amount of water, leading to a lower ferm temp.

As for your beer, I wouldn't worry to much for now. If you find it awful at bottling leave it some time, even the worst beer tend to mellow with some time and be drinkable. After all that at least if you decide to still dump it, you'll have learned something good about your temp control system!

Have your temp probe on the carboy and insulated from the open air inside your fermentation chamber. The controller will then adjust the air temperature according to the actual temperature of the wort.

Hello all!
My 3rd brew!
I made a fermentation chamber using a thermoelectric wine cooler. While it cooled down to 45* itself, it seems to be holding the chamber temp at around 66*. The controller is showing high because i opened the door to take a picture. The carboy thermometer shows 70*-72*. While that's workable for ale...... I'm doing a Bavarian Dark Lager. I'm using Saflager S-34/70. While I expect to have off flavors, any thoughts on how bad?
Thanks!

That was some explosive fermentation due to being at the top of the temp range for your yeast. It is what it is now don't worry about it. The beer may not be within the intended profile per the recipe but you may actually like how the final product tastes!?

How do you have the wine cooler venting cool air into the chamber? I assume that is the wine cooler on top? Are there holes or slots cut into the top of the chamber? The more you can open that up the better.

Place some containers of water in the chamber with the fermenter to provide thermal mass to help hold the cooler temps.

And it may not make any difference if your wine cooler is running constantly and can't keep up, but tape your temperature probe to the side of your fermenter and then try to insulate it from the ambient air in the chamber with bubble wrap or something of the sort over the top.

It takes a while to dial in a new chamber and figure out what works and what doesn't.

masscarriers,

submerging a good part of your carboy in cold water (in a bucket, plastic bin or something) inside your chamber. You will experience way less fluctuation in temperature and the heat generated by the fermentation will dissipate more easily in a large amount of water, leading to a lower ferm temp.

That makes sense. I have an idea running through my head....
A reusable water jacket that wraps around the carboy, could even allow water to circulate through it.

If you find it awful at bottling leave it some time, even the worst beer tend to mellow with some time and be drinkable. After all that at least if you decide to still dump it, you'll have learned something good about your temp control system!

The recipe called out a 1 week primary, 2 week to a month secondary then bottle. Should be enough time to mellow!

flars,

Have your temp probe on the carboy and insulated from the open air inside your fermentation chamber.

I have seen that done alot. Just didn't get there yet!

The controller will then adjust the air temperature according to the actual temperature of the wort.

I don't have the controller doing anything at this point, just reading temp. The cooler is full tilt at this point. I was kind of expecting to not keep up, I just didn't know to what degree.

I don't have the controller doing anything at this point, just reading temp. The cooler is full tilt at this point. I was kind of expecting to not keep up, I just didn't know to what degree.

Wait... then how are you controlling the temperature of the cooler? It's just plugged into the wall?

Lagers take a certain level of careful temp control, you should get that controller set on controlling the chamber as soon as possible.

jbb3,
That was some explosive fermentation....
I'll say!

The beer may not be within the intended profile per the recipe but you may actually like how the final product tastes!?

If I don't like it... maybe my brother will. He drinks that Lord Chesterfield stuff...

How do you have the wine cooler venting cool air into the chamber? I assume that is the wine cooler on top? Are there holes or slots cut into the top of the chamber? The more you can open that up the better.

Yup, that's the cooler on top. I have the insulation cut out so the cooler actually sits down in the insulation. The door of the cooler is off. It has a fan that mounts to the cold side of the peltier "device. I mounted it that way because cold air falls, hot air rises, I was going for natural convection air flow since the fan doesn't move a lot of air by itself.

Place some containers of water in the chamber with the fermenter to provide thermal mass to help hold the cooler temps.

Again, I'm thinking a reusable water jacket that allows water to circulate through it also. My brain is humming even as I type this response!

And it may not make any difference if your wine cooler is running constantly and can't keep up, but tape your temperature probe to the side of your fermenter and then try to insulate it from the ambient air in the chamber with bubble wrap or something of the sort over the top.

Yeah, it's constant full throttle. I think I'll do away with the wine cooler and work on piping a water jacket from the chamber into my fridge in the garage. Got a few ideas, being able to use what I have laying around!

It takes a while to dial in a new chamber and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Hopefully I plan the second try out a little better so there's no need for a third!

Wait... then how are you controlling the temperature of the cooler? It's just plugged into the wall?

Lagers take a certain level of careful temp control, you should get that controller set on controlling the chamber as soon as possible.

Metanoia,

The controller would be on cool all the time, as the cooler can't keep up. I'll use the controller once I get a system setup that can cool down to 40* during active fermentation. At this point I'm going to weather it and prepare for the next lager brew.

Something I learned with temp control also: get your wort down to temps before you pitch. If I'm in a hurry I'll even leave it in the chamber over night and pitch in the morning to make sure the temp is where I want it to be.

Ronjonacron,

I chilled it down to 70*.... I'm guessing you mean chill it down to fermenting range? In this case, 55*ish?

Yeah, I generally chill to a couple degrees lower than my fermentation temp just because fermentation is exothermic.

The controller would be on cool all the time, as the cooler can't keep up. I'll use the controller once I get a system setup that can cool down to 40* during active fermentation. At this point I'm going to weather it and prepare for the next lager brew.

I take it you're a lager guy... ;)

Nothing wrong with that! But I'm just thinking about my first dozen brews and the learning process involved.

For me, the best way absorb and learn a new process is to keep it simple in the beginning. Establish a baseline of results from which you can compare and progress from there.

The thing is; IF this batch turns out bad, not saying it is, but if it does, you won't really know if something went wrong during the brew process or if the issue was in fermentation or bottling or all the above?? Without several brews under your belt, there is no baseline of results there to compare to and learn from.

While in the learning process, I'm wondering if lagering just adds an unnecessary step/complexity that may slow down figuring out the most important part. And that's the brew process!

Pick 2 or 3 non-lager recipes that are low gravity (under 1.060) and rotate those until you are satisfied with the results. Then step up to something else.

You chamber will be great for fermenting beers in the "normal" range (low 60s to low 70s). You already have a great advantage there!

Not trying to burst your bubble! Just want to see you continue on and progress through this really cool hobby. :mug:

Not that I'm a grand master of brewing or anything. I'm still trying to figure it all out too...

Yeah, I generally chill to a couple degrees lower than my fermentation temp just because fermentation is exothermic.

Yeah, I read it was exothermic.... I only picked up on the 10+ deg recently!

jbb3,

I take it you're a lager guy... ;)

Ehhh.... not really! Just till recently, "Lager" meant "Yuengling". Never a fan! But I figured I would try a different Lager.

The thing is; IF this batch turns out bad, not saying it is, but if it does, you won't really know if something went wrong during the brew process or if the issue was in fermentation or bottling or all the above?? Without several brews under your belt, there is no baseline of results there to compare to and learn from.

Yes, Yes... That is true!

Pick 2 or 3 non-lager recipes that are low gravity (under 1.060) and rotate those until you are satisfied with the results. Then step up to something else.

Here is a pic of the Pale Ale I just Kegged! After 30 days I just kegged it. I'ts a bit on the hoppie side for me but then its not carbonated yet. May change!

Not trying to burst your bubble! Just want to see you continue on and progress through this really cool hobby. :mug:

Ohhhhh, it takes a lot to burst my bubble! I have thick skin!

The Pale Ale started out at 1.057 S.G. btw.....

20141111_192731.jpg

20141111_192750.jpg

moreb33plz,
Thanks! If only it did what I expected! It does seem like it will work well for Ale brews.

Well I finally got around to doing it right....
My new chamber set up. Mounted to my fridge in the garage.

1416010206636.jpg

Anyone have recommendations on a heater? I didn't think I would need it but it's 14C in my fermentation chamber. Anyone have experience with the fermentation belt things?

If your not using a controller to shut off the fridge, and you add heat, your fridge is going to run constantly. I have a pelonis "small room" heater. I rewired it to separate the fan control and wired the heating element so it's on low heat when the controller calls for heat. As long as the controller is hooked up, your fridge should hold 22c all day long.

The fan in the heater runs constantly. The controller switches the heating element.

Moved it into the secondary today. Tasted it and it was drinkable at this point. I think it'll be enjoyable after ageing for a few weeks.

1416093126677.jpg

I should've eloborated a bit. I'm running a stc1000 on the fermentation fridge and just needed recommendations on a specific heating method for it.

Back