Fermentation / Batch Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but is there a general rule for what size fermentor should be used for a specific batch size? Should a 5 gal batch always go into a 6.5 gal fermentor? What about a 2.5 gal recipe. What size should it go into? What happens if you put a batch in a fermentor that is way larger than the batch (1 gal batch in 6.5 gal carboy)? What about the reverse (other than blow off)? Just wondering.

General rule of thumb is to not have large amounts of head space above the fermenting wort/beer. This could lead to oxidation if you have too much space. So a 5 gallon batch should go into a 6.5 gallon fermentor and be fine. A 2.5 gallon batch should be in 3 - 3.5 gallon fermentor. Now, with that being said, I have heard of plenty of people putting 2 gallons in a 5 and 6 gallon fermentor and having no issues. The issue is more important if you rack into a larger than needed secondary. What I do is use the closest to proper size fermentor as possible and not rack to secondary at all unless aging a beer for a long time. In that case, I would make sure I use the proper sized secondary. Good luck.

Primary fermenter => Remaining 1/5 of It's volume is necessary- 1/4 volume of it remained empty is good - remaining more than 1/3 of It's volume empty is not recommended.
Secondary fermenter => Just a couple of inch empty space may be necessary- filling it up to the near of It's mouth as much as possible is good- remaining more than 1/6 of It's volume empty is not recommended.

Back