Fermentation and post-ferm Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturg78

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find straight answers to:

- I am trying to temp control my beer for the first time and am stuck using primitive dial style temp control in my mini fridge. The lowest (highest?) setting puts the ambient temp in the fridge somewhere between 60-65 degrees. That is, the fridge is either ~60 or lower. I have heard that the optimal temp for a lot of yeast (and the WL002 that I am currently using) is ~68. If my fridge is at 65 I assume that the fermentation will pump the wort up a few degrees, so am I in a safe temperature range or should I take the beer out and chance it fermenting in the 70+ degree room temperature?

- I have been leaving beer in my primary for a month and then bottling/kegging directly out of the bucket. Let us say, hypothetically, that I brewed a perfectly regulated temperature beer until the fermentation was complete. Would moving the beer into a hotter (80s or 90s) temperature cause any adverse characteristics? To rephrase that, once fermentation is complete, is ambient temperature important?

- To bottle carbonate beer, I add corn sugar and then keep the bottles in a place over 70 degrees. Wouldn't the yeast munching on those sugars at hotter temps create the same unwanted flavors? IS it just too insignificant an amount to worry over?

Thanks in advanced for the answers, this community has made me much more confident in my brewing knowledge. :mug:

If my fridge is at 65 I assume that the fermentation will pump the wort up a few degrees, so am I in a safe temperature range or should I take the beer out and chance it fermenting in the 70+ degree room temperature?

I'd stick it in the fridge until primary fermentation is complete, then get it out and let it stand at 70-75 for a diacetyl rest. Consider investing in an STC-1000 controller. For under 30$, you can control your temperature more accurately. Alternatively, you'll be able to use your fridge as a conditioning chamber for bottles.

Would moving the beer into a hotter (80s or 90s) temperature cause any adverse characteristics? To rephrase that, once fermentation is complete, is ambient temperature important?

Temperature is always important for yeast. I wouldn't go outside the yeast range as per manufacturer.

To bottle carbonate beer, I add corn sugar and then keep the bottles in a place over 70 degrees. Wouldn't the yeast munching on those sugars at hotter temps create the same unwanted flavors? IS it just too insignificant an amount to worry over?

Not in a significant manner. Just keep it between 72-80F. Higher temps risks killing the yeast.

Cheers!

Back