Fermentation after pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseymac91

Reaction score
I keep having an issue with over carbonated bottles. I use Pappers bottle pasteurizing method, but it's like the yeast isn't dying. I just opened a cider in a grolsch bottle and the neck literally blew off, made my ears ring. Just finished releasing pressure on the batch, had a few more explode. My last batch was also over carbing, I just drank it all before it became an issue. I've been dropping six bottles in a pot of 180F water for 10 mins. So I need to figure out how my batches continue to carbonate after bottle pasteurizing.

I keep having an issue with over carbonated bottles. I use Pappers bottle pasteurizing method, but it's like the yeast isn't dying. I just opened a cider in a grolsch bottle and the neck literally blew off, made my ears ring. Just finished releasing pressure on the batch, had a few more explode. My last batch was also over carbing, I just drank it all before it became an issue. I've been dropping six bottles in a pot of 180F water for 10 mins. So I need to figure out how my batches continue to carbonate after bottle pasteurizing.

Maybe the cider isn't reaching 160 degrees inside the bottle?

Apologies for the way late reply. That may be the case, i'll keep one bottle open and see what the inside temp gets to. I've lost quite a few bottles to heat stress. I got a little ptsd though.... since it happened I switched to sweetening in the glass.

Latest posts

Back