Fermentables vs. unfermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshi

Reaction score
Sup yall, first post:

I've been reading about single infusion mashes, and the variability of the body (full, medium, light) of your final beer based on mash temperature. The topic of fermentables and unfermentables obviously came up. IF brewing with all grain and no adjuncts (i.e. lactose, brown sugar, etc.), what are the factors that lead to different levels of fermentables and unfermentables that result in your wort?

Maybe a better way to put it: if you brewed two beers with the EXACT same grain bill, but used different mash temperatures or mashing techniques, could you end up with different levels of fermentables and unfermentables in your wort? Or are the levels of fermentables and unfermentables fixed depending on the grains used?

Sorry for the longwinded post, hope it makes sense, yee!

It's all in the mash temp...mostly. Basically, higher mash temp = more unfermentables (less-fermentable wort); lower mash temp = more fermentable wort. That said, caramel/crystal malts provide mostly unfermentable sugars, regardless of your mash temp.

Cool, thanks bruh, just what I was looking for. Any other sidenotes/tangents will be graciously accepted, as well.

There are literally reams of literature about the subject. One place to start is How To Brew by John Palmer (link points to an old edition he has for free online). But there are many other good books. Also, brewing software, like Beer Smith will do some of the calculation work for you, taking the temperature of your grain and mash tun into account. Makes it easier to hit your desired strike temperature.

Marshi said:
Sup yall, first post:

I've been reading about single infusion mashes, and the variability of the body (full, medium, light) of your final beer based on mash temperature. The topic of fermentables and unfermentables obviously came up. IF brewing with all grain and no adjuncts (i.e. lactose, brown sugar, etc.), what are the factors that lead to different levels of fermentables and unfermentables that result in your wort?

Maybe a better way to put it: if you brewed two beers with the EXACT same grain bill, but used different mash temperatures or mashing techniques, could you end up with different levels of fermentables and unfermentables in your wort? Or are the levels of fermentables and unfermentables fixed depending on the grains used?
!

To answer your question, yes. Both mash temp and technique, and grain bill effect the levels of fermentables. One of the cool variables you get to play with when you go all grain!

I heard some conflicting info from a brewer friend of my today: he said that the different ways you prepare malt will determine the amount of fermentables and unfermentables in a certain grain. For example (he said), a 2-row base malt as lots of fermentables, meaning it contains chains of simple sugars that can be easily broken down by alpha and beta amylase. Caramel malt, on the other hand, has chains of simple sugars that cannot be broken down by these enzymes, and therefore are unfermentables and thus contribute to body, flavor, etc. Keep in mind he works for a big brewery (20 BBL a bactch).

Is there any truth to this? I'm a bit conflicted.

I heard some conflicting info from a brewer friend of my today: he said that the different ways you prepare malt will determine the amount of fermentables and unfermentables in a certain grain. For example (he said), a 2-row base malt as lots of fermentables, meaning it contains chains of simple sugars that can be easily broken down by alpha and beta amylase. Caramel malt, on the other hand, has chains of simple sugars that cannot be broken down by these enzymes, and therefore are unfermentables and thus contribute to body, flavor, etc. Keep in mind he works for a big brewery (20 BBL a bactch).

Is there any truth to this? I'm a bit conflicted.

My reply from above.

There are literally reams of literature about the subject. One place to start is How To Brew by John Palmer (link points to an old edition he has for free online). But there are many other good books. Also, brewing software, like Beer Smith will do some of the calculation work for you, taking the temperature of your grain and mash tun into account. Makes it easier to hit your desired strike temperature.

And yes, to what your friend said. Almost all of the sugars in caramel/crystal malts are unfermentable. But how fermentable the sugars derived from 2-row or other "base malts" is depends on your mash temperature and schedule.

Back