Ferment witbier under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucio Fialho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first witbier in a pressurized fermenter.

I understand this style calls for esters, so I should not go up with pressure, like I do in lagers or "clean-IPAS".

But, I'd like to restrain higher alcohols production and, therefore, solvent or nail-polish accent.

Is it advisable to set a intermediate pressure for this kind of beer, lets say 0.4 bar (6psi)?
Any experiences that could be shared?

The yeast will be M29 French Saison and I plan to ferment at 19C (66F).

Cheers

There is no good reason to ferment this style under pressure.
Thanks for your reply, but I would like to go further in this question.

I know, nowadays, it is understood it is better to not to use any pressure in fermentation of witbiers at all.

But, if we look in retrospective, a few years ago no one would preconize the use of pressure fermentations from the beginning in lagers and some ales. This understanding changed.

As homebrewers, we are able to experience new boundaries of the brewing process.

And, again, my goal was to reach less fuse-alcohol / solvent in a witbier that, of course still need to have esters.
So, I would like to debate a compromise, a mild use of pressure fermentation in those styles. Maybe by applying lower pressure, maybe by finding a good timing to apply the pressure during fermentation process.

That's why I believe the discussion is good to be developed with pro and cons arguments.

After all, we are looking for the new way. Aren't we?

a witbier is basically a hefe in most respects...IMO

I did a hefe under pressure once....ONCE...zero "hefeness" was the result.

Go with a blow off tube, once peak krausen has passed you may pressure ferment if desired.

IMO no ale of any style should be started under pressure. And hefe is an ale yeast.

You may finish under pressure if you so desire, after the yeast has properly "expressed" itself.

Back