Ferment on top of used yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcgeehan151

Reaction score
Relative newbie here, been lurking trying to read up and learn. But now I need help :). Brewed a red IPA with Wyeast American Ale yeast last Friday, and my hygro readings have stabilized. I want to brew again this weekend, and I only have one primary so I'm gonna transfer to a secondary. I didn't strain my hops and i wanna try a founders breakfast stout clone So can I go right in on top of the yeast cake would that be a poor idea? I used a started and had a great healthy colony going into the red last Friday. Thanks!

Sure it can be done, some homebrewers fear that you will be overpitching, or using too much yeast, yet others do exactly as you are proposing and are satisfied. I typically collect about 1/3 of the yeast slurry in a zip loc bag and repitch that within a week or so. Whatever you do, sanitation is a concern...be neat and tidy w/ the yeast.

If you do add a new batch to the whole yeast cake, keep your temperatures down at the lower range, mid low sixties or with all that yeast you risk a beer volcano and temps spiraling upward into unnacceptable ranges. below 70!!! actual beer temperature, not room temperature.

You could investigate "yeast washing" as well, yet again opinions vary, some do it, others don't.

Back