Fermcap Fail...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
Belgium Strong Ale... Did fermcap in the starter since it looked like it was going to blow after an hour on the stirplate (which worked perfect with 2 drops) so I figured I would add 5 drops to my primary... fail. Guess even with fermcap it can still blow? Could have been worse? Temp too high? Anyone know how to prevent this next time?
10385196_10152152012607883_235310261_n.jpg

It could be exaggerated by too high a temperature. What is the temp?

I used Fermcap for a while, didn't like the recommendation of filtering it out since it is a silicone. I now just start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed. I suggest you set up one ASAP.

I also just looked at my Fermcap bottle and it says to use 2 drops per gallon which would be 10 drops for 5 gallons. Maybe it is because you did not use enough.

I use only one drop of Fermcap per 1.5l starter wort, as it effectively prevents foaming and boil overs, as well as foaming and yeast volcanos on the stir plate. I don't use Fermcap during regular fermentation, just blow off tubing if needed. Not sure how safe ingested silicone is for humans.

I'd say you should try to control your fermentation temps, particularly during the first few days to a week or so. I have 1.076 Belgian that was started with a coolish fermentation and it's still bubbling slowly after a month. Never needed a blow off either.

Hm didn't know you had to filter it out and it was a silicone, guess I'll stop using it I really don't like adding a bunch of stuff to my beers anyhow. I just had a couple tops blown off and was trying to prevent more mess. I've tried it with a blow off and it really doesn't help much the tube still clogs and the top blows off. I know I should be using a carboy with a 1" tube but can't afford the bottles... plus I hate cleaning them I had one for a secondary and stopped doing those. Think the temp is 65ish (just checked and 64), stays that way year round in the basement... time to invest in another freezer for a ferm chamber I guess. I love doing high gravity beers and been really enjoying the Belgian and hefes but man do they make a mess.

fermcap and blowoff sometime wont even cut it. With 10 drops and a blow off the lid blew off 4 times on my stout. Happy yeast are happy.
477538949111477.jpg

fermcap and blowoff sometime wont even cut it. With 10 drops and a blow off the lid blew off 4 times on my stout. Happy yeast are happy.

Nice mess ha... I've just left the tops off my beer for an hour or two when they blow (unless one of my kids drops a crayon into it I doubt anything would effect it) or removed the airlock and let is spew from the hole for a day or so, seems to create less mess if you put it on a lid to a tub or in something that can catch it. The top coming off just creates a horrible mess usually, spraying everything around it. Reading up on Fermcap some say it's safe and other say it's not, drops out, but doesn't, guess there's really no good answer. Not sure how I feel about the stuff now but maybe if I didn't put in those 5 drops I would have a worse mess? ha... Part of brewing I guess, when I brewed way back when (took a 15+ year break) I never recalled a blow out but conditions in my apt basement might have been different and I mostly did IPAs.

Don't know about S-type airlocks but the 3 piece ones have a star shaped restrictor on the bottom. Cut that off to prevent blockage. For some reason 1/2" tubing seems too restrictive anyway.

During vigorous fermentations I can often see and hear the bucket "breathing." Pressure builds up, the lid starts to bulge and then suddenly it all releases through the blow off tube into the jar. When that happens I know I'm fermenting too hot and fast fermentations do not produce good flavor, generally.

No need to use carboys, it's not better. I went back to buckets inspired by the glass carboy horror compendium. Man, are buckets easy to clean! Now racking is a different story.

Get Fermcap NT instead of Fermcap S if you are worried about the filtering requirement. Fermcap AT is also an alternative.

Ah ok thanks for the tips I'll try it out. I've shoved tubing right down the hole, but it doesn't help when it's cogged. I've had a couple good blows, one in particular from a Hefe where I removed the lid for about a day it was so bad, turned out to be my favorite Hefe to date. Brewed the same recipe and drinking now but just not as good for some reason, that one didn't blow. Maybe the wife added something to the first when the top was off when she walked by with the laundry. Ha

I use Patcote 376 which is oil based and tasteless so it does not need to be filtered out. I used about 1/4 tsp in my boiling 4L starter and it worked like a charm. Have not tried it yet for fermentation, but will next week. Only downside is that you need to use more of this stuff than you do Fermcap. And the directions basically just say to keep adding it until you get the desired effect.

I use Patcote 376 which is oil based and tasteless so it does not need to be filtered out. I used about 1/4 tsp in my boiling 4L starter and it worked like a charm. Have not tried it yet for fermentation, but will next week. Only downside is that you need to use more of this stuff than you do Fermcap. And the directions basically just say to keep adding it until you get the desired effect.

My googling abilities are 0 for 2; couldn't find a place to purchase either :(

The minimum wholesale order quantity for Fermcap NT is very large, which makes it unfeasible for most homebrew stores to carry - you may want to request it from MoreBeer or Northern Brewer/Midwest.

Fermcap AT should be more readily available since it wholesales in 1L packages.

Back