Fementation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMrWill

Reaction score
Yes...ANOTHER ONE....sorry.

I brewed a Cooper Ale last night....everything looked great :mug:

It was a little cold in the room I ferment in so I put a heating pad under the carboy and set it on low. (I have done this before so I wasn't worried...in the past...it peeked at like 70-72)

Well...the temp raised in the room and this morning (10 hours after pitch), the carboy was bubbling away like a mad man! I have never seen it so active...I checked the temp and it was 78* !!!

I quickly put the carboy in the sink with 64* water to try to cool it off.

I had to leave for work and it had dropped down to 75* before I left...and I am pretty confident that it will be in the mid 60's when I get home....but now I am worried.

How long is too long at a high temp? Did I catch it in time...or is any high temps gonna ruin the beer? :(

Thanks....

-Will

It should be ok, since you cooled it right away. I don't know if that short of a time will produce any off-flavors, but I doubt it will be an issue. It definitely won't be ruined!

Have you thought about putting the carboy in a tub or a container filled with water and an aquarium heater? This way you could keep a more consistent temp without spending a lot of money and not having to turn the heating pad on/off.
I agree with everyone else, your batch should be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement... I just hate ruining beer...this is my first attempt at this recipe and it looked good... OG was higher than I expected (1.058)...oh well.

I usually use a bucket as my primary...this time I am using a 6.5 gal carboy...It is mezmorizing watching the yeasties churn about. (I was 20 minutes late for work today :) )

-Will

rob897 said:
Have you thought about putting the carboy in a tub or a container filled with water and an aquarium heater? This way you could keep a more consistent temp without spending a lot of money and not having to turn the heating pad on/off.
I agree with everyone else, your batch should be fine.

Yup...I just dug out an old aquarium heater out of storage...that was my plan for when I get home...wife will want her sink back! I was thinking of making a fermenting box out of plywood, foam and fiberglass...I figure, I could make it big enough to hold 2 carboys (24" x 48") and even make a hinged lid on it....but that will have to wait until I finish restoring the boat (would hate to run out of fiberglass and resin).

I am going to just grab a plastic tote/bin and get 'r done for now.

-Will

Well...got home and it it 69*...which is about what the air temp is upstairs...

I guess I could leave it be and make a water bath/temp control set-up in the basement (average temp 50*) and just heat it to 65*. So...do I put is somewhere cooler and work to maintain temp...or leave it upstairs where temps are 66-70...but occasionally spike...

Thanks again for the replies.

-Will

Back