Quantcast

Fementation Temp Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JustMrWill

Reaction score
Yes...ANOTHER ONE....sorry.

I brewed a Cooper Ale last night....everything looked great :mug:

It was a little cold in the room I ferment in so I put a heating pad under the carboy and set it on low. (I have done this before so I wasn't worried...in the past...it peeked at like 70-72)

Well...the temp raised in the room and this morning (10 hours after pitch), the carboy was bubbling away like a mad man! I have never seen it so active...I checked the temp and it was 78* !!!

I quickly put the carboy in the sink with 64* water to try to cool it off.

I had to leave for work and it had dropped down to 75* before I left...and I am pretty confident that it will be in the mid 60's when I get home....but now I am worried.

How long is too long at a high temp? Did I catch it in time...or is any high temps gonna ruin the beer? :(

Thanks....

-Will

kush

Reaction score
Bro, im sure its fine. Just try to keep it constant as much as possible.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It should be ok, since you cooled it right away. I don't know if that short of a time will produce any off-flavors, but I doubt it will be an issue. It definitely won't be ruined!

rob897

Reaction score
Have you thought about putting the carboy in a tub or a container filled with water and an aquarium heater? This way you could keep a more consistent temp without spending a lot of money and not having to turn the heating pad on/off.
I agree with everyone else, your batch should be fine.

OP
JustMrWill

JustMrWill

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement... I just hate ruining beer...this is my first attempt at this recipe and it looked good... OG was higher than I expected (1.058)...oh well.

I usually use a bucket as my primary...this time I am using a 6.5 gal carboy...It is mezmorizing watching the yeasties churn about. (I was 20 minutes late for work today :) )

-Will

OP
JustMrWill

JustMrWill

Reaction score
rob897 said:
Have you thought about putting the carboy in a tub or a container filled with water and an aquarium heater? This way you could keep a more consistent temp without spending a lot of money and not having to turn the heating pad on/off.
I agree with everyone else, your batch should be fine.
Yup...I just dug out an old aquarium heater out of storage...that was my plan for when I get home...wife will want her sink back! I was thinking of making a fermenting box out of plywood, foam and fiberglass...I figure, I could make it big enough to hold 2 carboys (24" x 48") and even make a hinged lid on it....but that will have to wait until I finish restoring the boat (would hate to run out of fiberglass and resin).

I am going to just grab a plastic tote/bin and get 'r done for now.

-Will

OP
JustMrWill

JustMrWill

Reaction score
Well...got home and it it 69*...which is about what the air temp is upstairs...

I guess I could leave it be and make a water bath/temp control set-up in the basement (average temp 50*) and just heat it to 65*. So...do I put is somewhere cooler and work to maintain temp...or leave it upstairs where temps are 66-70...but occasionally spike...

Thanks again for the replies.

-Will