Fellowship of the Drink XXIX: Doug E. Fresh(beer) - Every Body Got 2 Get Some

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orionol73

Reaction score
Looking forward to some nicer weather…
I officially announce the 29th running of the Fellowship of the Drink!

If you’ve participated before, it’s good to (hopefully) see you again. If not, see below for the rules.

The FotD is a beer swap for members of the continental US to allow you to try some beers from outside your region. Every participant picks a few beers as their “offer.” Then we devise a draw order and go down the list until everyone has selected an offer to receive.

Here are ALL the previous rounds so you can see how this works (and some of the cool names):
So how does it work?

If you’re interested in participating:
  1. Post your interest in this thread! I will keep a list of the interested people (please also see the "Rules" below for eligibility)
  2. Make sure you are confirmed
  3. Go shopping for beer! (see "What's in an offer" and "What's in the box" below)
  4. After I have confirmed your entry, but before the “Offer Due” date, PM me a photo of your offering along with a link to something like Beer Advocate/Ratebeer/Untappd for each beer so that others can get an idea of what they are choosing
  5. Wait patiently for the offer list to be posted. A few days before the drawing, I will post a complete list of all the offerings and photos
  6. When I post the offerings, I will use a randomizer to create a drawing order. I will post a time for each participant that you are “On the Clock” with five minutes between participants
  7. Be here the night of the pick!
  8. Contact the person who picked you for shipping details
  9. Ship!
  10. Wait for your care package
  11. Enjoy it responsibly, and post a pic if you like
If you think you might not be around for the pick, send me a picklist order to put your choice in for you. I will not use your picklist until the end of your window, so you are welcome to enter a pick until that time.

On pick day, log in at your time slot to submit your pick on this thread. If you previously sent me a pick list, I’ll cover you. If you miss your window, say something in the thread when you arrive, and you can pick after the person currently picking. If you are a no-show, you will receive a randomly matched pick (or the last one, whichever applies.)

What’s in an offer?

Each offering should be:
  • At least 3-6 cans or bottles of commercial beer. Preferably, these will be local to the sender (or otherwise not widely distributed) but please - no more than 86 oz total in the pictured offer.
  • At least one non-beer item: glassware, stickers, koozies, etc. Get creative!
You may also offer some homemade beverages with the commercial offerings (we all love trying homebrew, let’s be honest).

What’s in the box?

The essential thing in the box is what you offered, but many participants also include other “extras.” It is not uncommon to receive beers not listed in the offering. Sometimes these are doubles, unique ones; sometimes, let’s face it, we are cleaning out our refrigerators.

The FotD isn’t a contest to see who can shove the most beer (or most expensive beer) in a box - whales are not required or expected. Most participants are looking to try beers they may have never known existed from small breweries local to you. Let’s think about those Untappd things.

Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required.

Some members have also been creative with “noisemakers.” I would never suggest that you ship prohibited items, but if you wanted your box to sound like something other than beer, the following have been used:
  • Hard candy
  • Coins
  • Rice
  • Beans
Be sure to pack well, and use ziplock or other methods to guard against leaks.

Rules (there must be rules)

Participants must also meet all of the following requirements:
  • Continental US resident of legal drinking age
  • An HBT member for at least six months
  • An active participant in the community (based on iTrader rating/activity, recent post count, participation in previous beer swaps, etc.)
  • ... or have been (or are vouched by) a previous FotD participant.
Current Timeline
  • Sunday, April 9th Tuesday, April 18th- Offers due (including photos & style descriptions)
  • Tuesday, April 11th Friday, April 21st- Offers and Pick Order posted.
  • Thursday, April 13th Sunday, April 23rd- Pick day! 1st pick will be 7:00 PM EST. All others will be in a 5 min interval, according to the rules above.
Have any questions, or are you interested in participating? Post here!

Last edited:
Count me in!! Life’s been hectic with the new job and family activities but I’m ready to jump back in!

I’ll put this out there now. This month is very busy for work and the last week of the month I’ll be in Vegas for work. If I miss getting an offer in for whatever reason it will be a mystery box. If there’s any issues please let me know.

Definitely out. Been hit by the RIF Fairy.
Hey gang, thanks for the well wishes but I’ll pull out of this.

Definitely dealing with some BS in the job seeker market, and all is not as rosy as some news would lead you to believe.

My sit isn’t great, but I’m positive there are others in much worse shape than I am. Just need to apply some discipline and cinch up the belt for a little bit. Dealing with adversity brings perspective.

Timeline updated

• Sunday, April 9th Tuesday, April 18th- Offers due (including photos & style descriptions)
  • Tuesday, April 11th Friday, April 21st- Offers and Pick Order posted.
  • Thursday, April 13th Sunday, April 23rd- Pick day! 1st pick will be 7:00 PM EST. All others will be in a 5 min interval, according to the rules above.

I'm gonna have to back out on this round. The new dates put it right in the middle of my work week and I will miss Pick day. For me, I like to be at home drinking a beer when the pick is happening. Being at work takes all the joy out of it.

I'll keep an eye on future FotD runnings and will jump back in later.

Sorry all, I came down with covid this week so I’ve been out of it and haven’t been able to shop. I’m out of quarantine on Monday morning. Will try and put together an offer after work on Monday and get it in Monday evening.

So I made it out to pick up some beers this evening only to remember that Buried Acorn is closed Mondays :(

If you guys will have me, I'll put together a mystery box of barrel aged beers and IPAs, but no worries if I need to skip this time.

IMG_0998.jpeg

I'm gonna have to back out on this round. The new dates put it right in the middle of my work week and I will miss Pick day. For me, I like to be at home drinking a beer when the pick is happening. Being at work takes all the joy out of it.

I'll keep an eye on future FotD runnings and will jump back in later.
Sorry to hear this

Fellowship of the Drink - Fellowship of the Drink XXIX: Doug E. Fresh(beer) - Every Body Got 2 Get Some

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Participation & Offer Status

Active Participants with Offers:
Thorrak
duncan.brown
aharri1
pshankstar

Active Participants without Offers:
orionol73
jerbrew
fourfarthing
BAF