Feed Store Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aylmer

Reaction score
Am I able to use unmalted barley grains from a feed store? It's about 80% cheaper than at my lhbs. If so, what type of barley should i buy? Food-grade seems to be nonexistent at every feed store I've visited.

It's cheaper because it's unmalted. You sure you wanna go through the malting process?

Yes sir. I know the dynamics of the process, but the only reason I'm doing this is to cut costs ergo buying 50+ lbs. at my local feed shop. Is it safe to do this?

It's safe to do it, but it's a lot of work, and to make a 55 pound bag usuable for brewing takes a lot of time, space, and like Cheeto takes some Diy skills.

There are 2 excellent Australian Podcast episodes on it and iirc they talk about feedstore barley.

February#2,2007
February 25th, 2007 Flooding in North Queensland does not stop this brewcaster putting out a show. In a two part series, the guys will cover all you need to know about home malting your grains; YES you can do it at home. A tasting of the Sour Cream Lambic was well overdue, with surprising results, as more sour beer reports from brewers. We are off to Africa in our International Craftbrewer Series, and we look at a beer review - does it stack up. Bad news on beer and malt prices, Weirde and Wacky World of Beer, - gee what more can we pack in!

Listen MP-3

March#1,2007
March 11th, 2007 Lack of internet access does NOT stop the Brewmaster and Cellarman from spreading their beer knowledge. In a full program they cover feedback, sample the mango sour cream lambic and compare a beer review with the real thing. Want more - well our beer super hero’s girlfriend is in danger, a new record for drink driving was set in North Queensland, and the second part of home malting your grain is finalised. No program is complete without a rant, so expect one or two, and country music and beer go together to finish off the show.

Clicky to heary

Thanks guys. I've decided to try whatever barley has the least amount of alterations at my local feed store. There's really only one way to find out if it works, I guess

Back