(another) shout out to ritebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
ritebrew beat out my lhbs today and that was with pick up and 20 percent off lager kits.

they were better than morebeer and the other big name online stores also.

i got 20 lbs of grain 2 packs of 34/70 1 pack of live 2565 with ice pack and bubble wrap, and 4 oz of hops for 62 dollars with shipping.
other than bulk buying 50lbs of grain i dont think i can make beer cheaper than this.

I had never heard of them before. Thanks for the headsup.

I try to support my lhbs as much as I can, but it is hard to justify spending so much more than this...
Bulk grains from my lhbs is the only way I can beat Rite Brew prices (per lb). Even then - their bulk grain prices are so much better (60% of my LHBS).
Doesn't help my closest brew shop is 1 hour away so honestly I might just have to buy online to save my time and money.

I just ordered from him yesterday! This time it's wine yeast, nutrient, etc, as I have some grapes that I froze last fall to deal with.

I buy all of my ingredients from him, although I wish he would carry White Labs yeast. That's my only negative thing- my favorite strain for most of my American style beers is WLP001. But he always has everything else I need at the best prices and quick shipping.

I must have caught them at the wrong time yesterday. I put 40# of grain in my cart and shipping was $75. Will stick with Morebeer...

that doesnt make sense . i just put 40 lbs in the cart and it was 25 shipping to nyc. came to $1.75 per pound still cheaper than my lhbs

where do you live ?

i did notice however that at 40 lbs morebeer will get you the free shipping threshold so it will be 10 $ cheaper at that size purchase .

however thats for grain. there are some things at rite brew that are way cheaper than the other stores. yeast for example is very cheap at ritebrew.

that doesnt make sense . i just put 40 lbs in the cart and it was 25 shipping to nyc. came to $1.75 per pound still cheaper than my lhbs

where do you live ?

i did notice however that at 40 lbs morebeer will get you the free shipping threshold so it will be 10 $ cheaper at that size purchase .

however thats for grain. there are some things at rite brew that are way cheaper than the other stores. yeast for example is very cheap at ritebrew.

The pricing they have on bulk wine kits is insane. Half the cost of my LHBS and other companies like NB and MoreBeer.

where do you live ?

I live in CA

Not trying to harsh your chill, just posting caveat emptor before others like me waste time...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.11.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.11.44 PM.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.10.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.10.45 PM.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just tried myself for shipping to Mass...40 lbs of grain is $19.95 shipping, but if I change it to 50 lbs, shipping jumps to $54.13. Looks like Smcinco had 50 lbs of grain not 40 in the pics he attached. So looks like if you need more 50 lbs of grain or more, you are better off doing two orders to save on shipping. Playing around, it looks like over 47 lbs makes the shipping jump up, as 47 lbs is $23.16 and 48 jumps it to $53.96.

I live in CA

Not trying to harsh your chill, just posting caveat emptor before others like me waste time...
no its all good im just always on the hunt for economical grain as i guess we all are and i was surprised morebeer could beat them . if anyone knows of another economical grain seller please post.

long island homebrew has some of the cheapest grain around but the shipping makes it useless

Just tried myself for shipping to Mass...40 lbs of grain is $19.95 shipping, but if I change it to 50 lbs, shipping jumps to $54.13. Looks like Smcinco had 50 lbs of grain not 40 in the pics he attached. So looks like if you need more 50 lbs of grain or more, you are better off doing two orders to save on shipping. Playing around, it looks like over 47 lbs makes the shipping jump up, as 47 lbs is $23.16 and 48 jumps it to $53.96.

You're right (not to prolong this). I guess I hit add twice. 40# reduces shipping to $43. Still not ideal but in the spirit of full disclosure... Awesome to hear it worked out for @fluketamer and others (damn you!). Rock on!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.17.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.17.26 PM.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.16.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.16.35 PM.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I live in CA

MoreBeer has locations in CA and PA, so their shipping costs to the coasts will generally be less for heavier shipments. RiteBrew is in the Green Bay area so it's cheaper for those of us in the middle🙂

Definitely works for us in the middle. SpeeDee delivery is always next day for us without having to pay next day rates.

If I had my preferences I'd love for Neil there to carry some British crystal malts - light, medium and dark would be nice. I think that's the only thing I go look for. I think I can tell the difference when I use a bunch on a few of my recipes, but can't guarantee it. I still wish I could get them!

Mostly for in the middle (USA)

Farmhouse Brewing Supply (WI) and William Brewing (CA) are good sources for malt brands that RiteBrew doesn't stock. HomeBrew Ohio (OH) and Williams Brewing (CA) are good sources for active dry yeast brands that RiteBrew doesn't stock. Label Peelers is often mentioned as a good source for yeast as well (but I haven't used them yet).​

Note that I may have delivery options at those WI & OH based stores that are not available to shipping addresses on the east coast (USA) or west coast (USA).

o looks like if you need more 50 lbs of grain or more, you are better off doing two orders to save on shipping.
Apparently some shippers have delivery plans where the shipper will surcharge for orders over 50#.

RiteBrew offers 50/55# bags of malts. In the description on many of those products, there is the phrase:
"*We may break down this item to avoid a surcharge on [some shippers] packages over 50 lbs."​
For those of us "in the middle", SpeeDee currently doesn't have this surcharge.

Last edited:
Ritebrew is great! They may not have everything that the bigger homebrew shops carry but they have always shipped my orders out quickly and their prices are way better than NB/Midwest Supplies.

I've had good results ordering from RiteBrew (using mostly SpeeDee for delivery) since 2017. Orders always fulfilled (ready to ship) same day. Order confirmation (via email) arrives shortly after order is fulfilled. Orders almost always arrive next day (a couple took two days, one was snow delayed a while longer). Recently UPS seems to be slightly cheaper than SpeeDee (under 50#) with the same delivery time-frame. Competition is good!

Last edited:
I also live in Wisconsin. I've ordered grain twice from Bobby at brew hardware. His prices are good, has a good selection. Shipping was about $18.00 but it evens out with his grain prices being lower than NB. I will give rite brew a try if they have everything I need. They also have local pickup if I'm going that way

I also live in Wisconsin. I've ordered grain twice from Bobby at brew hardware. His prices are good, has a good selection. Shipping was about $18.00 but it evens out with his grain prices being lower than NB. I will give rite brew a try if they have everything I need. They also have local pickup if I'm going that way

I never tried RiteBrew, so I cannot comment on their service and pricing.

However, I have ordered from @Bobby_M and am very satisfied with the selection and pricing of their grain. Although I have my own mill, I had Brew Hardware mill the last batch for me and am glad that I did. The grain crush was perfect, shipping was fast and customer service was spot on.

I never tried RiteBrew, so I cannot comment on their service and pricing.

However, I have ordered from @Bobby_M and am very satisfied with the selection and pricing of their grain. Although I have my own mill, I had Brew Hardware mill the last batch for me and am glad that I did. The grain crush was perfect, shipping was fast and customer service was spot on.

I was just on @Bobby_M 's site this morning and I really like him as well. I am looking for some 'bigger' things, or at least looking AT them as I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a steam slayer set up, but that's always one of my very first tops when thinking about a brew day.

I'm also in Wisconsin, Milwaukee area. Since the Northern Brewer retail store in West Allis (aka Milwaukee) closed last August I had to find a new source, there are not a lot of homebrew stores remaining in the area.

I've bee ordering from Wine and Hop shop out of Madison and have been very pleased with them. I haven't been ordering large amounts of grain but have been ordering specialty grains, hops, yeast, and other misc ingredients and supplies. Priority mail shipping rate is under $10 to Milwaukee area.

I've also ordered from Ritebrew, excellent ordering and shipping, but they tend to be out of stock on some of the liquid yeasts I use.

Latest posts

Back