Recipe recommendations for these grain types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I want to get into doing all grain brewing using our own grown grains. Looking for some recipe recommendations as I can’t seem to find many specifically with these varieties

We are just simpletons that enjoy our crappy Beer store lagers, so I’m leaning towards staying with lager but open to any suggestions, we have to experiment to find what’s best!

What we typically have in crop rotation:
CDC austenson (2row feed barley)
CDC Copeland (2row malt barley)
Ac metcalfe (2row malt barley)
CDC landmark (cwrs wheat)
AAC wheatland (cwrs wheat)
AAC alida (cwrs wheat)

So, basically it's all base malt and raw grain in both wheat and barley?

I'd try a saison or similar farm-style beer. Say 80% malted 2- Row and 20% wheat. I'm a fan of BE-134 yeast, which has a bit of citrus and pepper without being too out there. Get some local Alberta or Sask hops in as your 60 minute bittering addition at around 25-35 IBUs and you're set.

I hope the OP understands you can't go from field to glass without a stop at the maltster ;)

Cheers!
Plan on doing some farmer style malting 😏
So, basically it's all base malt and raw grain in both wheat and barley?

I'd try a saison or similar farm-style beer. Say 80% malted 2- Row and 20% wheat. I'm a fan of BE-134 yeast, which has a bit of citrus and pepper without being too out there. Get some local Alberta or Sask hops in as your 60 minute bittering addition at around 25-35 IBUs and you're set.
Definitely don’t have to use just what’s on the farm, I’d just like to utilize what we grow to whatever extent I can, more so just to say we made that beer from scratch, literally 😂. Thanks for the recommendation on yeast, I’m going to dive into this head first so it’s going to be interesting that’s for sure!

This could be fascinating for us flatlanders to follow if malting is involved.
If you go that route you better take lots of pictures and post often :D

Cheers!

Plan on doing some farmer style malting 😏

Definitely don’t have to use just what’s on the farm, I’d just like to utilize what we grow to whatever extent I can, more so just to say we made that beer from scratch, literally 😂. Thanks for the recommendation on yeast, I’m going to dive into this head first so it’s going to be interesting that’s for sure!

That's what I did, and it was an education. Baptism by fire, as they say.

Day_trippr makes a good point about ensuring you use malted product for the bulk of your fermentables, but you can certainly include a portion of raw grains in farmhouse style ales.

This could be fascinating for us flatlanders to follow if malting is involved.
If you go that route you better take lots of pictures and post often :D

Cheers!
Lol. It’s not something I’m even going to dabble in right out of the gate. But sounds easy enough to do with a little redneck ingenuity. I can malt it quite easily but only on a ‘mass’ scale. I can kiln it in the grain drier but that’s a 1200bu/58000lb batch and I definitely have no intention of making that much beer 😂 Also have a 2 roller mill that would blow through that much grain in an hour. Definitely have the equipment to do it, just not on a practical scale. Pretty sure I’m going to go with the more ‘backyard’ methods of malting

Latest posts

Back